Lighting a day Interior not through windows

Hey guys,

I wonder what is the best way to light a medium size room, which you cannot light through windows, because it is on the fourth floor.

It should be high contrast and moody daytime atmosphere. 

Best,
Daniel

Edited by DanielSydney

• Premium Member

I asked this same question to Allen Daviau, ASC before I shot my second feature and he said “tell the production to find a new location that can be lit” — so I did and it worked.

Unless you can arm a light safely from the floor above to point back in, you’re stuck using available window light for the wide shots where the window is in the frame. Maybe that will look great if it works for your schedule.

• Premium Member

If you frame camera into a corner and catch say half the window in frame, the you can place a sunlight in the corner past the window half remaining out of frame. Ive done this a few times on second or 3rd story rooms with good results. Fixture suggestion would be Astras or Skypannel + intensifier because a joker through a frame has a large footprint and pushes too deep into the room to sell the effect. A chimera would be fine though.

Ive done this in rooms that were 20x20. Anything smaller where I couldnt do the above because the whole window would be seen, I've armed a fixture (again Astra) over the window and frame the top off. A wall spreader can give the same result. Be aware of weight.

Edited by Stephen Sanchez