35mm Home Movie

Uli Meyer

• Premium Member

Great stuff as always Uli! The baby tossing sequence made me laugh. ?

You’re gonna have to teach your son to take meter readings for you. Seems like he likes to hold the meter anyway! Your wife is a champ for going along with it too. 

7 hours ago, Heikki Repo said:

We have to learn from the wildlife documentarists, I guess ?

I think Uli will be ready to shoot Ken Loach films after a few more months of this! 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Great stuff as always Uli! The baby tossing sequence made me laugh. ?

You’re gonna have to teach your son to take meter readings for you. Seems like he likes to hold the meter anyway! Your wife is a champ for going along with it too. 

I think Uli will be ready to shoot Ken Loach films after a few more months of this! 

Thank you Satsuki! My wife is terrific. She is so patient and supportive. I’m very lucky. 

• Premium Member
20 hours ago, Raymond Zananiri said:

Really lovely.

I noticed the scan is far superior to scans of other videos you have on Vimeo from 2 or 3 years ago. Could you shed some light on the difference? 

Hi Raymond,

I get everything scanned through Kodak and don't know if there is a difference in scanners used. I don't think so. There are a couple that were scanned at 2k rather than 4k which makes quite a difference.

21 minutes ago, Tyler Purcell said:

4th installment very nice! Won't be long before your kid will be shooting movies of you! hehe ?

Yep, time flies. Hopefully on celluloid, if still available.

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...
  • Premium Member

The fifth instalment Home Movie is of Julius and his cousin Fritz (with the dummy). It was shot during a trip to Germany last month, after we were finally able to visit family. I bought the Kodak 250D and 50D stock in Germany and had it developed at a lab in Stuttgart. The footage was scanned on a Cintel 2 at the same place. The negative is still in Germany but one day I’d like to get it scanned again on a Scannity to see what the difference might be. The Cintel scan does feel a bit “thin”, not sure how else to describe it.
The music is by Peter Fox, a rapper from Berlin. The beat fits well, the lyrics don’t ?
Shot on an Arriflex 235 with a Zeiss CP.3 25mm lens.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Uli Meyer said:

The Cintel scan does feel a bit “thin”, not sure how else to describe it.

Yea, it's missing something for sure. 

but, nobody would know, as it looks great anyway! 

Edited by Tyler Purcell

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Heikki Repo said:

I showed a clip of your home movie to my children and they insisted on watching them all! Quite captivating movies, holding their attention, great work! ?

That’s nice to know, thank you Heikki! And a thank you to your kids too! 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Simon Wyss said:

In a pleasing way the camera movements are calmer than with small-gauge equipment.

The Arriflex 235 sits comfortably on your shoulder and is easy to keep controlled, that helps too. And the 25mm lens ?

• 1 month later...