Parental Advisory for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

As you can see, I HAVE discussed the cinematography.

Do not insinuate that I want to occupy your thread in any way. I myself suggested at the beginning of the discussion that this discussion - even if it is about "Mrs. Maisel" - could be outsourced to a separate thread. It's very unfair that you're acting as if I want to "take over" this thread.

This gives the impression that criticism in this thread is not welcome.
Therefore I ask the moderators to copy the discussion into a new thread.

Edited by Sandra Merkatz

David, please shoot something more appropriate next time ok. We do not want to see any skin I beg you. If God forbid, you guys do decide to show such inappropriate scenes, make sure have a written justification literature. Thank you. 

Edited by Giray Izcan
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, Sandra Merkatz said:

I have no problems with any body parts, you can show everything. As mentioned above, I am not concerned with not showing any particular body parts, but only with whether it makes sense to show them from a dramaturgical point of

If you only want to see nudity under the strictest rules of your own devising, based on some obtuse logic around whether it “makes sense”, then I’m sorry but you do have a problem with body parts. For goodness sake, you baulk at the breast baring scene in Mrs Maisel, which is perfectly valid dramatically. In my mind only someone who is confronted by nudity would think that scene needed changing. If you were complaining about the gratuitous nudity in say Game Of Thrones, I would agree that it is a bit much sometimes, but that is the flavour of the show. But to nitpick over the very occasional nudity in Mrs Maisel seems almost comically Victorian to me.

13 hours ago, Sandra Merkatz said:

I don't think it's "wrong", I think it's just unnecessary. Because if I notice that the camera shows me things only for this reason, then I don't feel taken seriously by the producers. Then I have the feeling that they want to manipulate me. That they assume that I "need" such things.

For something that is just unnecessary you are spending an awful lot of time and energy thinking about it!

If you’re watching well conceived drama, then you are being manipulated. It’s all make believe, actors pretending, music and visuals designed to elicit an emotional response, fake sets in the background. You may think the exposed body part is unnecessary, someone else may think the music is overbearing, another may find the acting unconvincing. Try a different show!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
On 7/10/2020 at 7:56 PM, Sandra Merkatz said:

I have no problem with the sight of naked bodies; in one of my favorite movies, "Bram Stoker's Dracula" there are a lot of naked breasts. But there they don't bother me, because the movie is conceived as an "erotic nightmare" and many things that happen there don't make sense. However, before I knew that Coppola conceived his film as a surreal erotic nightmare, I was also very critical of these nude scenes, because they didn't make any dramaturgical sense to me.

Sandra, the shots in Coppola's Dracula offended you at first and you were only able to see the "dramturgical" merits after you read what Coppola intended? That is either terrible movie making or you have difficulties experiencing those merits. If it is the latter, I think you are right to ask questions. Yet, while you are happy to accept Coppola's explanation, you somehow won't accept what the creatives involved in this show have told you. That is a little odd.

• Like 1

I am not willing to write any more posts in a forum where I am compared to Hitler, where the Holocaust is instrumentalized to make a mood against me and where my home country Austria is insulted. If that is the discussion culture of cinematography.com, then I will look for another forum where one can deal with criticism instead of being personally insulted.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Sandra Merkatz said:

I am not willing to write any more posts in a forum where I am compared to Hitler, where the Holocaust is instrumentalized to make a mood against me and where my home country Austria is insulted. If that is the discussion culture of cinematography.com, then I will look for another forum where one can deal with criticism instead of being personally insulted.

Thank you.

If I may chime in as an innocent bystander with pretty much no agenda or bias. I believe the Hitler and Austria comment was a joke. At least to me it was. The way you wish to interpret the joke is up to you!

However to quote our past Golden Globes host "If you can't joke about the more horrendous things in the world, what's the point of jokes? Whats the point in having humour? Humour is to get us over terrible things.". 

Please do take what was said as light heartedly as you can! There is no point getting frustrated over something so insignificant. This forum has endless information to offer! To talk and discuss among some of the greatest cinematographers. It seems a waste to throw it all away over a joke. However that is up to you!

About the criticism aspect. "The pleasure of criticising takes away from us the pleasure of being moved by some very fine things.". What strikes me as odd is you criticise something you haven't even watched. I believe we can all take criticism here, I believe it's part of our job.  But even you have to admit if someone came up to you with issues with say your new film that they haven't even seen... you'd take what they say with a little less value. 

But what truly made me write this is. Do keep in mind David (or Mr Mullen as I call him), has taken time out of his day to help and teach other people. Answering rather advanced questions to basic ones that he answers almost weekly. Something he does continuously and something I personally have benefited and benefit from! His point of moving you to a separate thread was just so if a young  aspiring cinematographer like myself where to read his thread they wouldn't have to skip over 2 or more pages of a person complaining about a tiny part of something they have not even seen. 

Edited by Gabriel Devereux

11 hours ago, Sandra Merkatz said:

Thank you.

The power of humor can never be under estimated ..  my work here is done ..