FS: Set of Three f2 Arriflex Standard Mount 16mm Zeiss Primes

Heikki Repo

Selling an (unmatched) set of three Arriflex Standard Mount Zeiss lenses for 16mm film cameras: 8mm t2.4, 16mm t2.2 and 25mm t2.2. These are not T* coated.

• These lenses are in good condition relative to their age. They have a beautiful vintage Zeiss look to them – they are quite sharp from t4 onwards.
  • Focus and aperture are smooth. Short focus throw. Please note that fast focus direction changes may result in the image moving.
  • I have tested all of the lenses with my Super16 modified Eclair ACL. For interested buyers I have the test footage available online (Vision3 50D and 200T, apertures from wide open to around t4½, S16 overscan). Ask and I shall provide a link.
  • Of the lenses the 8mm doesn’t fully cover S16, but as can be seen from the test footage, the vignette is very slight, almost non-existant. There is also a hint of darkening in the corners with the 16mm lens in overscan.
  • All of the lenses work well with Eclair ACL (with an adapter). On Arriflex film cameras, 8mm should fit all of them whereas 16mm and 25mm fit Arriflex older than 16BL. I haven’t tested these lenses with a digital camera but I think they should work quite well with the original BMPCC or new BMPCC 4K in the 2.6K crop mode.
  • There is some dust within the lenses, no fungus. 25mm lens inner elements have haze (visible if you look inside with a led torch), but it doesn’t seem to affect the footage even in direct light. In fact the 25mm feels contrastiest of them all, very nice image quality.
  • The 8mm is steel mount, 16mm and 25mm are older aluminium mounts. Included are two rear caps and three front caps.

Would love to keep them myself, but for financial reasons have to let them go ?

Asking 1450 € + shipping. Located in Finland, Europe. Private sale, no returns.

I’ll provide video proof of the lenses and of my own identity and also expect the same of the buyer before a sale is made.

Edited by Heikki Repo

• 1 month later...

I have always found these so interesting...those who have them must keep them, they're quite rare it seems.

I hear tell the 25mm Planar covers a good deal more than just super16.

I can't purchase, but for that above contribution about the 25mm I would be overjoyed if a link to that test footage appeared in my inbox ?. Just wanting to satisfy personal curiosity.

Edited by James Coleman Rogers

• 3 weeks later...

Not for sale anymore. Decided to keep them. They work really well with a BMPCC as well, though I had to modify the cheap adapter a bit in order to use the 16mm and 25mm with it ? 

Here's a frame grab of a scifi short I shot with the 25mm and BMPCC.

space-2-3-1.jpg