Canon 1014XLS with Vision 500T and 85B

Joshua Echevarria

Hey been reading a bit but cant seem to get an answer for this question.   I'm trying to figure out one thing when shooting with 500T film on the 1014XLS.   I understand that the camera will read this as 400ISO which is fine but if I am using an 85B on the lens what do I set the internal filter switch to?  Do I leave it on tungsten?  Can't seem to get an answer for this.  Any insight would be great

21 hours ago, Joshua Echevarria said:

Hey been reading a bit but cant seem to get an answer for this question.   I'm trying to figure out one thing when shooting with 500T film on the 1014XLS.   I understand that the camera will read this as 400ISO which is fine but if I am using an 85B on the lens what do I set the internal filter switch to?  Do I leave it on tungsten?  Can't seem to get an answer for this.  Any insight would be great

Yes.

Leave it on tungsten so the internal filter is out of the light path. The separate 85 will do the conversion.

Edited by Mark Dunn

I don't know the camera model, but either switch will remove the filter. If the 500T cartridge is notched below the gate as it should be,  you will need to use the external switch anyway. If not you won't need to.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:18 PM, Mark Dunn said:

Leave it on tungsten so the internal filter is out of the light path. The separate 85 will do the conversion.

Just a reminder to anyone who may not know: Super 8 cameras assume that you're using tungsten film, which is why the T setting removes the filter. The D setting adds one to correct the tungsten film for outdoor use. It's this way, and not the opposite, because it's better to slow down tungsten film when taking it outdoors than to slow down daylight film when taking it inside.