Best Mini DV tape brand

Guest Michael King

Guest Michael King

I know your not supposed to mix brands of tape due to different lube problems, but are there any opinions on which is the best brand of tape. Any to avoid. Any good deals?

• 2 months later...
I know your not supposed to mix brands of tape due to different lube problems, but are there any opinions on which is the best brand of tape. Any to avoid. Any good deals?

I follow this guideline... MiniDV tapes: Pana tapes use dry lube whereas Sony tapes use a wet lube, they should not be interchanged within the camera. Ergo, I use the tape made by the camera manufacturer. I do the same with the SDX900

taperesources.com has great prices and good delivery.

I follow this guideline... MiniDV tapes: Pana tapes use dry lube whereas Sony tapes use a wet lube, they should not be interchanged within the camera. Ergo, I use the tape made by the camera manufacturer.

Couldn't agree more.

Sony tapes will gum up non-Sony decks and cameras over time. If you are not shooting on a Sony camera, don't use Sony tapes. I've had to replace heads because of Sonys.

Edited by Matt Irwin

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Peter Wilkens
Sony tapes will gum up non-Sony decks and cameras over time. If you are not shooting on a Sony camera, don't use Sony tapes. I've had to replace heads because of Sonys.

When I rented a Canon XL1S a year ago, the rental agent specifically asked what brand tapes I'd use and made me promise not to use Sony tapes. He explained the whole dry and wet lube differences and said the Sony wet lube caused nothing but trouble and was the single worst way to dirty and even ruin the heads very quickly.

When I got home, all of a sudden I realized that the most problems I've had with our home VCR's was when I used the cheap Sony tapes. The VCR heads seem to always need cleaning. Meanwhile, when I'd switched to a pack of TDK tapes, they went for months without needing cleaning. It was a revelation of sorts.

We immediately tossed all our Sony tapes and I've stuck to TDK ever since. No problems.

You know,

I went over and over this age old debate when I got my DVX so I could stick to one brand for good. I shoot mostly docs for tv and indie stuff, and not a week went by when I had to run out and grab tapes or have a PA bring me tapes from some place random nearby and it always ended up being a sony. I know, I freaked because everything I ever read says get Panasonic since it's the same brand and dry lube, but it's not the lube. It's the CHANGING back and forth between lubes that'll screw your heads. My advice is to pick a brand and stick with it, Sony OR Panasonic. I Choose Sony after the first few days because I knew I'd be able to find them easier when I need one in a pinch and I didn't want to end up on a shoot with no tapes and a director saying "I don't care about your damn heads, we need to shoot and all we can find right now are sony". So I've shot hundreds of hours on my camera with ONLY Sony and never had a problem (knock on wood). That's my advice. Take it or leave it.