16mm scan

Boris bruno

1 hour ago, George Majewski said:

I am using Cinelab. They are great people and fast too. Also located not far from  you in New Bedford MA

www.cinelab.com

Yeah I heard of them it’s just I seen a lot of bad reviews about them so I was a little hesitant 

• Site Sponsor
4 hours ago, Boris bruno said:

Yeah I heard of them it’s just I seen a lot of bad reviews about them so I was a little hesitant 

Hi

We run millions of feet of film every year in 8mm 16mm and 35mm and over the years there have been some complaints, most of our "bad reviews" on google or whatever are from people who did not understand the process well or had expectations which were out of this world. One review was from a student who was mad her 35mm 500ft roll took too long and we gave her a free scan and this was while we were running two or three feature films simultaneously.

Like any lab we have had some mistakes but we do a good job and offer a very wide range of services and scan options.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Robert Houllahan said:

Hi

We run millions of feet of film every year in 8mm 16mm and 35mm and over the years there have been some complaints, most of our "bad reviews" on google or whatever are from people who did not understand the process well or had expectations which were out of this world. One review was from a student who was mad her 35mm 500ft roll took too long and we gave her a free scan and this was while we were running two or three feature films simultaneously.

Like any lab we have had some mistakes but we do a good job and offer a very wide range of services and scan options.

Ok thanks I will give Cinelab a try. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Cinelab does a good job, and Rob is a stand-up guy. If there's a problem, he will do his best to fix it. I like the work they do, and their 4K/5K scans are great! Ask for the negative to be cleaned before the scan for the best results.

Here are some film scans from earlier this year that Cinelab processed and scanned for me: 

(graded and downscaled to 2K in Resolve from a 5K open gate scan)

35mm_2xANA_01.thumb.jpg.678cc579f2bfd240c56cf1e044fd1dac.jpg

35mm_2xANA_06.thumb.jpg.62da4d49405038c56921c9ab40bed145.jpg

35mm_2xANA_14.thumb.jpg.ef401eff8c62d12db793bb0cef438deb.jpg

35mm_Spherical_02.thumb.jpg.1d206184d308549a26d5fd1f5f2e77a2.jpg

35mm_Spherical_08.thumb.jpg.6f1522283565159094b97ee10f9a512d.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Cinelab does a good job, and Rob is a stand-up guy. If there's a problem, he will do his best to fix it. I like the work they do, and their 4K/5K scans are great! Ask for the negative to be cleaned before the scan for the best results.

Here are some film scans from earlier this year that Cinelab processed and scanned for me: 

Amazing wow Cinelab is really good im going to try them 

2 hours ago, Tyler Purcell said:

If you're in Boston, Cinelab or Gamma Ray Digital. 

I heard of gamma ray digital I just never seen any examples in f their scans. I’ll take a look at them. Thank you

6 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Is it 16mm? what film?

3 hours ago, Boris bruno said:

I heard of gamma ray digital I just never seen any examples in f their scans. I’ll take a look at them. Thank you

I had a number of 16mm scans done by Gamma Ray Digital. But bear in mind they only scanned archival material for me. I have no experience with them with modern films.

Here are 2 raw 16mm scans with no postprocessing that Gamma Ray did for me. 

Here is another one Gamma Ray did for me. YouTube banned me over this one, so I put up on I.A. 

https://archive.org/details/GemsOfSongDeannaDurbinD.D.TeoliJr.A.C.

Perry is very knowledgeable and I was generally happy with Gamma Ray's work. But I eventually stopped using them.

The issue were:

Very Expensive to get commercial scans done for  3/4 million+ feet of film

They refused to scan some of the material due to content. (But this was not an issue limited only to Gamma Ray. Some commercial scanning companies were even more strict with content issues.)

Since scanning is so $$, I could only afford to do one film at a time.  It is a pain in the ass shipping films one at a time as well as risky with rare archival material. (But this is just a minor compliant. If I was rich, I'd ship in bulk if I wanted to get commercial scans.)

I eventually decided to do my own scans. I sold my motorcycle for $2,800, borrowed a couple thousand $$ and put the rest on my credit card and bought a Retroscan 2K. 

Here is a 2K Retroscan I did. 

NSFW

The problem with doing scans yourself is the time. I have many areas I work in and just no time for it all. Any one of these areas has enough work for a lifetime or two.

Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Archival Collection
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Small Gauge Film Archive
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. VHS Video Archive
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Audio Archive
Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Social Documentary Photography

Still, if the commercial companies wont scan your films, then you will have to do them yourself.

When I got my commercial scans done I didn't know much about post work with video. So everything had to be paid for, even a simple title. I could not afford to get any grading done on my scans, so that is why the raw scans were used.

When you get commercial scans done you pay for every little thing. Especially if you were like me and were just learning and knew next to nothing about film handling. For example, a simple name intertitle was quoted at $50. I didn't know some scanning companies don't clean film unless you pay for it, etc.

Over time I've learned more about post processing and am fairly competent at working with archival material now. My long term goal is to be able to buy a high quality 4K sound scanner someday. But lotto is not cooperating.

If you want to learn about archival preservation of movie films, get some of the Treasures from American Film Archives DVD series and listen to the commentaries. 

Good luck with your scan OP!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, Max Ivanov said:

Is it 16mm? what film?

35mm 4-perf. Kodak 5219 500T.

The first three shots were taken on my Arriflex 35-3C with the Atlas Orion 40mm anamorphic. The spherical shots were taken on Cooke S4 Minis.

I left in the same ground glass, so you can see how the spherical shots are framed slightly off-center, due to the extra width of S35 versus Academy width.

We were shooting a project on the Alexa Mini and I had a camera operator for both days, so I had time to mess around with the ‘B camera.’ I mainly wanted to show the director what 35mm film would look like in a side-by-side test. He loved the look even more than the Alexa Mini, so hopefully he will want to shoot a whole project on it someday!

• Like 2