Toto Vivian

RED KOMODO

Mainly, that I wish they put product details on their website. Rather then teasing stuff for months on Reduser. Its a pain wading through the forum to work out the spec's, prices etc... There's still nothing on Red.com

Otherwise it's probably good, global shutter is certainly a good thing, same with AF if it works, but there is a lot of very good competition in the price range.  Although I'm not that sure what the actual final price is and how much the bits and bobs to make it work are at this point....it's probably on reduser...but

reduser-silly-place-02.jpg.01668b072d8e6cb2eb54be723496cdb4.jpg

• Like 3

The dual Canon battery to V-mount/Gold-Mount converter plate that Tilta have just announced, make it considerably more interesting to me.

There are so many appealing options out there (or on the way soon), and they all seem to offer superb image quality - so I really think it's feature-sets and easy of use that are going to make the decisions for people moving forwards.

• Like 1

Red has been talking about this camera for a long time. I'm shocked they haven't simply released all the data, including a price. 

I think the camera is still in "open beta," as it were. It seems that they're holding off on releasing specs until they're confident they're not going to change.

Which is VERY un-Red--I'm glad to see them being a little more conservative this time.

I don't know its pretty standard for Red to tease for months/years on Reduser. Most camera companies don't even announce a product till the specs are locked down and its close to delivery. 

At one point wasn't this going to be an attachment for their phone? Not sure why people get so excited about Red products when they keep moving the goalposts so much. I think they like to keep things vague to make comparisons difficult.

If I was in the market for an affordable camera I'd be looking at the Lumix SH1 or saving up a bit more for the FX9. Then you have more straightforward specs/prices. 

I'm not sure what market this camera serves. At the budget level there are more keenly priced alternatives, with cheaper accessories. 

Its not a great doc camera, no XLR audio or built in ND, its not going to be good alternative to the FS7, FX9 for TV work.  I guess it could be ok on a gimbal/drone - but the high end Reds are already small enough for that task.  So is it just for the small group of Red fans that just want a Red but can't afford a Dragon or Gemini? 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Phil Connolly said:

Its not a great doc camera, no XLR audio or built in ND, its not going to be good alternative to the FS7, FX9 for TV work.  I guess it could be ok on a gimbal/drone - but the high end Reds are already small enough for that task.  So is it just for the small group of Red fans that just want a Red but can't afford a Dragon or Gemini? 

I feel its meant to cater to the demand for a quality camera that isn't 20k+ or an A7S but can operate like a $20k camera.

The BMPCC4k/6k shoots established codecs but its form factor makes it a pain for rigging, lots of quirky work arounds, plastic body and bad on board power options. In the case of the 6k, not having interchangeable lens mount options in this day and age is a bit strange, sure there is the PL conversions but they're just coarse threads into plastic so you can very easily ruin the camera. The price point is nice though.

Z-cam is also interesting but pretty much came out of no where and has a higher price point than black magic. It does offer interchangeable lens mounts and even an electronic ND option which is cool. However It has Proprietary RAW that NLE's don't support at the moment, mixed reviews of build quality and reports of camera failures which for now makes it a risky buy in my opinion. 

If Komodo lands at the reported $6k it could definitely take a lot of the DSLR for video market as well as the high quality action and specialty cam niche.
A cage, some mount adaptors and media would put you at around $10k and you now have a camera that shoots established codecs and will play nice with common professional aks. 

Edited by Evan Walsh
  • Like 1

The small form factor is super intriguing. Im a BMPCC4k user,  never been sold on RED's before this. 

I'm curios to see what the images are like once it rolls out...