Poor Mans Car Bokeh

Dear All,

I recently came across the concept of having a series of small holes covered with different coloured gel on a roll or a series of large cards for bokeh in poor mans process (Poorly drawn diagram attached bellow). I have a number of questions and am looking for tips if anyone has attempted or tried and tested this method. I imagine you'd need to use quite a low powered fixture and the sheet itself would need to be quite far away from the cars back window? For white light I imagine you'd attach 216 or equivalent over one of the holes?

Thanks

Gabe

IMG_2509.PNG

I'd imagine you'd need to have at minimum Opal behind all of the holes and gels for a frosted look.

Bad pitch, but what about using a projector onto a black sheet with dots made in photoshop/after effects?

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, AJ Young said:

I'd imagine you'd need to have at minimum Opal behind all of the holes and gels for a frosted look.

Bad pitch, but what about using a projector onto a black sheet with dots made in photoshop/after effects?

Thank you for the reply! I was thinking of possibly layering black sheet with small holes, assortment of gels and then white diff. 

Re- photoshop and projector.  Projecting onto a black sheet? I was thinking of doing that a while back but never thought it would work with the lack of reflectance. I imagine duvetyne would be too dark and matted for it. Would you by any chance know a good material?

Well, traditionally rear projection for poor man's process used normal screen material (ie white), but I feel that the black levels are too lifted when doing that because of the white material. In your case, you're not looking for details, just bokeh dots, so I figured a black cloth would keep the black levels low while a strong enough projector could still illuminate just the dots. (Of course, it'll need to be on the highest setting haha)

Any type of black cloth would work, duvetyne being standard.

I'd suggest trying Rosco ND frost or dark grey translucent acrylic for back projection, it keeps contrast and saturation a lot better than anything white. The highlights will pop a lot more than with black material too.

Edited by Barnaby Coote