Reflected material

Hi, just wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks / alternatives they used for budget reflected material?

Generally I'll use in descending softness: unbleached muslin , polyboard , Ultrabounce , white foamcore , silver floor insulation board ,  Thermawrap Foil Wrap , lee 273 silver reflector etc

I'm kinda looking for more materials to add a bit of a DIY "cine reflect lighting system" Does anyone use any light weight mirror like materials?

Cheers

• Premium Member

The trick with reflectors that are intended to maintain beam quality is that they have to be very flat and rigid. The commercial cine-reflect system is made using what looks like the plastic-cored, metal-faced board used for things like shop signage and (somewhat notoriously) facing buildings, but I would imagine there's been some special effort made to ensure it's really flat. If it isn't flat, it'll have lensing effects (and that might be a perfectly valid way to operate) but that spoil your ability to extend throw in a compact space and reduce inverse-square falloff without compromising quality of light.

As to everything else, all my textiles are just stuff I bought from a fabric seller at an open air market.

Hi Phil, thanks for the reply. Yeah it's not really to achieve a perfect throw as such, a bit of an inconstancy in the mirror would be fine. I need to create a moon glow onto a bed from a window in a cramped small room with no access to outside the window. I'm looking to boom the mirrored material to the window and bounce on a light (setup all inside the room). I’ve found some sticky back plastic mirror stuff on Ebay I’ll give a try

7 hours ago, Jonathan O'Neill said:

I'm kinda looking for more materials to add a bit of a DIY "cine reflect lighting system" Does anyone use any light weight mirror like materials?

You could try looking at aluminum sheets from home improvement stores. You can sometimes find them in different finishes, and they can look interesting.

14 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

You can get the plastic-cored aluminium composite panel in a variety of finishes anyway

1500-3050mm-Sign-Aluminium-Composite-Pan.

Ahh nice, looks a bit like silvered foamcore. I've also found quite a bit of "perspex mirror" and "Vinyl mirror rolls" which could be stuck on to foam core. I also might try applying a matt spray to achieve a different quality

• Premium Member

It's not quite foamcore, it's quite a bit harder and tougher than that. It's used for shop signs and on the outside of buildings.

I guess look around and see what you can find; I'd just google. With care you could probably use it as a backing for more or less any reflective media.

P

creating DIY reflectors is relatively easy and it's super fun to play with. 

I have a large carton box. on one side I glued Aluminium  foil (the one you use in the kitchen) and on the other side I glued copper sheets. It works!

Edited by Abdul Rahman Jamous