F900R Menus out SDI?

Mike Krumlauf

I know this sounds like a stupid question, esp coming from me given my experience but, for whatever reason on my F900R, I cant figure out how to get the menus to display over the HD SDI port. Never had an issue with such a simple task on any of my cameras, even the orig f900, but the 900R is truly stumping me on this and I feel like a moron. Anyone know how to get this working?

Thanks

Have you ever used an F900R before and it didn't have the menus?

I recall asking someone about the R camera in 2017 and they might've mentioned it also needed a Miranda converter for a truly clean capturable signal. Stating that none of the 900s could go straight SDI out

6 minutes ago, Max Field said:

Have you ever used an F900R before and it didn't have the menus?

I recall asking someone about the R camera in 2017 and they might've mentioned it also needed a Miranda converter for a truly clean capturable signal. Stating that none of the 900s could go straight SDI out

Well whoever you spoke too was wrong because there are 2 HD SDI BNCs built right into the 900R with clean outs. My question was getting the menus to show via the SDI. Im recording tape and using the HD SDI as a monitor out and would love to have the menu data on there so im not always looking into the viewfinder to change settings.

Miranda boxes are completely pointless for the 900R.

Where are you buying the tapes ?.. is there s secret warehouse somewhere..

Haven't used that camera in a million years but all the other Sony's Ive had and up to my fx9 now.. there should be a display out / menu out  SDI item in there somewhere .. could ba Force menu .. ?  just have to go through everything or try to find an old manual on line ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn

You need the Test Out page of the Operations Menu. Test Out Menu set on. Pg150 of the manual.

The Test out is set via the output page of the User menu. If you don’t have an option there for Test Out, it might mean you don’t have an expansion board installed. Pg 94 of the manual.

This is how I remember it being, and the manual seems to agree, but it’s been over ten years since I used a 900r, so YMMV

On 8/3/2020 at 8:50 AM, Stuart Brereton said:

You need the Test Out page of the Operations Menu. Test Out Menu set on. Pg150 of the manual.

The Test out is set via the output page of the User menu. If you don’t have an option there for Test Out, it might mean you don’t have an expansion board installed. Pg 94 of the manual.

This is how I remember it being, and the manual seems to agree, but it’s been over ten years since I used a 900r, so YMMV

Thank You!

On 8/3/2020 at 8:17 AM, Robin R Probyn said:

Where are you buying the tapes ?.. is there s secret warehouse somewhere..

B&H https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/214528-REG/Sony_BCT94HDL_BCT_94HDL_HDCAM_Videocassette.html

So i have the SD down converter option board installed so I guess I cant get Menu information over HD SDI. Bummer. I can still however get a clean feed out the other HD SDI port for my Small HD so thats good at least.

Edited by Mike Krumlauf

1 hour ago, Mike Krumlauf said:

So i have the SD down converter option board installed so I guess I cant get Menu information over HD SDI. Bummer. I can still however get a clean feed out the other HD SDI port for my Small HD so thats good at least.

Cant remember on that camera .. but the f5/55 which has 4 SDI, outs... 1 & 2 are always clean , maybe one SDI is always clean on the F900 too..  Im amazed you can still get tapes .. I remember after the big earth quake in Fukushima, there was a shortage of tapes as Sony had factories up there . the prices went sky high . basically they never re built the factories as the disc camera,s were also coming out, I think it sped up the end of tape camera,s ..

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like you can not output Menu data on the F900R over HD SDI. Kind of a stupid (lack of a) feature on such a high end camera as you could do that on the original F900 both stock and panavision models. Strange.