‘Moonwalk: A Sony Alpha Film’

36 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

I have to say, this is pretty frickin’ awesome.

Very unfortunate timing for the over heating " restrictions " of the Canon R5/6..  looks like Sony will increase their hold on the mirrorless market .. the only odd thing is although it has a ton of picture profiles .. there isn't one thats specifically S Cinetone "look".. which would make it  a must have as a B camera for the thousands of fx9 owners as the fs7 / A7III can be a struggle to match .. only a vague comment that it will match Sony's new color science 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, Robin R Probyn said:

Very unfortunate timing for the over heating " restrictions " of the Canon R5/6..  looks like Sony will increase their hold on the mirrorless market .. the only odd thing is although it has a ton of picture profiles .. there isn't one thats specifically S Cinetone "look".. which would make it  a must have as a B camera for the thousands of fx9 owners as the fs7 / A7III can be a struggle to match .. only a vague comment that it will match Sony's new color science 

But what did you think of the film? 

• Premium Member

It’s funny how we only just had a conversation in another thread about how any film introduced with the format as the defining aspect (ie “Here’s My 35mm Short Film!”) is almost certain to be rubbish, and here we have “Blah Blah: A Sony Alpha Film”.. ?

You know I love you guys, and you are cinematographers, but the film crew‘s woes and the camera they used was not the interesting story here. I kept wanting to know what the guy who was actually risking his life was experiencing, not what the camera ISO was.

But I guess as a Sony A7S promo ad it was OK.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

It’s funny how we only just had a conversation in another thread about how any film introduced with the format as the defining aspect (ie “Here’s My 35mm Short Film!”) is almost certain to be rubbish, and here we have “Blah Blah: A Sony Alpha Film”.. ?

You know I love you guys, and you are cinematographers, but the film crew‘s woes and the camera they used was not the interesting story here. I kept wanting to know what the guy who was actually risking his life was experiencing, not what the camera ISO was.

haha Yeah but this was specifically a promo for the high ISO of there A7sIII..   try shooting that on film.. sorry couldn't resist ? .. but yeah that guy walking the rope in the dark !!

8 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Some times I think cinematography has a likeness to Formula 1 racing (except cinematography is much more exciting). Part of it is the driving, the race. Watching and feeling the excitement of the race, the turns and the incredible amount of skill it takes from the drivers. I imagine that’s why most people watch it. But the cars are pretty cool too. 

Anyways the video is definitely interesting... all from such a small camera.

Edited by Gabriel Devereux

• Premium Member
15 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Lol, well I never signed on to that particular premise, so personally I feel that I am absolved of hypocrisy on that count! On all others, I plead guilty as charged...

Perhaps in this case, ‘film’ is a bit of hyperbole. Yes, it’s an ad for a camera, about a film crew trying to get a specific scene in the can. But the shots the crew achieved were stunning to me, and I think that’s worth highlighting.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
21 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

I'm going to reject the premise of my own hypocrisy on this particular occasion, because this one is literally a promotional video for a specific camera! ? (And therefore, like Tarantino's 70mm roadshow, falls within the 'exemption' category).

So the rule still stands!

• Like 1