F900R Detail Setting "sweet spot"

Mike Krumlauf

I was interested to get a few opinions about this. Im using the Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm so very sharp and fast glass... where should my detail settings rest to get the most out of the lens, sensor and HDCAM format? Ive been leaving it off but im curious to hear if anyone has used the detail settings with a lens as nice as the digizoom?

1 hour ago, Mike Krumlauf said:

I was interested to get a few opinions about this. Im using the Zeiss Digizoom 6-24mm so very sharp and fast glass... where should my detail settings rest to get the most out of the lens, sensor and HDCAM format? Ive been leaving it off but im curious to hear if anyone has used the detail settings with a lens as nice as the digizoom?

Pretty sure we used to leave it off..  generally Ive always turned detail and aperture off on any digital camera .. definitely any of the recent ones .. its the last thing you need .. 

• Premium Member

I'm always a bit careful about zeroing out all the sharpening on cameras which have poor codecs. The Sony F3 has recently experienced a surge in popularity, but if you record it onboard it's only a 35Mbps file. Similar problems attend Canon DSLRs and anyone using the HDCAM deck on an F900 will want to be aware of this. If you turn it all the way down the whole thing can end up looking horribly mushy and it needs to be done before the codec gets at it.

Low is good, zero sometimes isn't.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2020 at 5:13 AM, Phil Rhodes said:

I'm always a bit careful about zeroing out all the sharpening on cameras which have poor codecs. The Sony F3 has recently experienced a surge in popularity, but if you record it onboard it's only a 35Mbps file. Similar problems attend Canon DSLRs and anyone using the HDCAM deck on an F900 will want to be aware of this. If you turn it all the way down the whole thing can end up looking horribly mushy and it needs to be done before the codec gets at it.

Low is good, zero sometimes isn't.

Yeah Ive noticed that at OFF if you are tight on a subject with the digizoom, the detail is very film like but maybe a tad too soft. Wide shots need the detail on to some degree. How much im still trying to figure out. I like my detail, but i HATE the hard line video look.

On 8/19/2020 at 2:22 AM, Mike Krumlauf said:

Yeah Ive noticed that at OFF if you are tight on a subject with the digizoom, the detail is very film like but maybe a tad too soft. Wide shots need the detail on to some degree. How much im still trying to figure out. I like my detail, but i HATE the hard line video look.

There was a BBC white paper written by one of their techs giving recommended settings for a “film look” for the 900R. Might be worth a look, even just as a jumping off point.

In fact, it’s actually available on this site, courtesy of Stephen Williams.

https://cinematography.com/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=4839