Super 8: Fixed or Variable Aperture?

Michael Johnson

I've been shooting Super 8 for a couple years now, and I'm considering becoming brave and playing with the manual aperture. Does anyone know if Super 8 cameras have fixed apertures across the whole focal length? 

I specifically have a 310XL, 514XL, 814AZE, and a 1014XL-S. The lenses are marked as if they're fixed (like 1014XL-S  - 1:1.4 6.5-65mm), but I find that almost too good to be true.

Thanks!

Yes they do. Some may change at longer foical length, but none come to mind.   Have you been to www.super8wiki.com  ?

Check it out for specs on pretty much every super 8 camera ever made. Including the Logmar and new Kodak camera.

I believe your cameras are a constant aperture throughout the entire zoom range. Wide open zoomed all the way out looks great. a lot like 16mm

• 2 weeks later...

This point has always intrigued me as well. Any bargain zoom lens for 35mm still camera has a variable shutter for the zoom range whereas the expensive lenses have constant aperture. Yet it seems like even cheap-o Super 8 cameras have constant aperture through the zoom range. Anyone with any insight on this discrepancy? 

Any agreed Michael, a good Super 8 camera with a steady hand and 50D can rival 16mm from years ago with older scan methods.