Working with ProRes files

PJ Echlin

So I’m recently starting production on short film, shooting it on a 16mm cannon scoopic. Once I get the film telecined, i plan to choose for it to come back in Apple Pro Res. This will be the first time editing in  this format, on this scale, using transferred film. Does Da Vinci resolve support Apple pro res? If so, are you able to just drag the files into the editing software to begin to work with? Or are there extra steps to be able to import the files to begin the editing process within the program? My thought is that as soon as the files come back, I’m able to drop them in the program and start working. And if so, can da Vinci resolve export to another format that’s not pro res? Or would I need extra software to do that? 

thanks! 

Edited by PJ Echlin

I read somewhere that da Vinci resolve can import pro res files to edit within the program, but can’t export pro res. So my other question is how do I export as a different format after editing the pro res files? 

• Premium Member

davinci resolve can import prores without problems and it can export it as well if your operating system and installed codecs support it. So your operating system needs to have Prores codecs installed to be able to export them with Resolve. But importing and editing them in the software is possible without the codecs (for example you are able to edit prores files on a Windows computer running Resolve and without the codecs. But exporting prores is not possible on that system. If using a Hackintosh one can have multiple operating systems installed and have Resolve on all of them and share the databases so that one can for example edit the project on Linux or Windows but do the exporting on OSX to be able to export the project to Prores master.

ProresRAW is not supported by Resolve at the moment. It is a licensing issue between Apple and Blackmagic... no technical reason but only about the licensing costs being too high for Blackmagic 

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, PJ Echlin said:

So if I got the file back in ProRes 422HQ, and used a Mac book pro to edit in resolve,  I wouldn’t have a problem exporting to pro res as well because it’s a Apple product correct? 

Prores export codecs normally come with the Apple Compressor if I remember correctly. So they are not natively installed on all Macs. For reading Prores you don't necessarily need Mac if your edit software can read it (for example Resolve can)

15 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

Prores export codecs normally come with the Apple Compressor if I remember correctly. So they are not natively installed on all Macs. For reading Prores you don't necessarily need Mac if your edit software can read it (for example Resolve can)

How do you install codecs? What do you think in your opinion would be the easiest way to export the finish product while still keeping the quality? 

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, PJ Echlin said:

How do you install codecs? What do you think in your opinion would be the easiest way to export the finish product while still keeping the quality? 

if it works like it did couple of years ago you would need to purchase and install Apple Compressor to your mac and then the prores export should work. All my macs already have this installed so cannot test but the Compressor is not expensive if you won't need fcpx (that is pretty affordable too for a edit program) 

It is possible to transfer Resolve projects between computers so if someone you know has a installation which has the Prores codecs you can borrow it for making the final exports and do everything else (the time consuming editing etc.) on your own system even if it does not have the paid codecs installed. You only need those paid Prores codecs for exporting, NOT for playback and you don't need to export with the same computer you do the editing with. transferring projects may need some relinking but that is normally fast and easy