Stevens Camera Drive Model 16 made by Stevens Engineering Co.

Ruben Arce

Can you guys provide some information about this motor? I got it with a camera and I couldn't find any information online. It's a Stevens Camera Drive Model 16 made by Stevens Engineering Co. The Bollex Collector website has a pic that I copied and it says the motor can run at 16,24 and 32fps forward and reverse, it's on the metal plaque as well, but there are no swtiches at all. I couldn't find any information on the power requirements. Looks like it could take up to 4 batteries and maybe that's how speed goes up. The cable has 4 connectors in series meaning it adds power as you add batteries, looks like someone scratched the part that says how many volts it need to work at each speed.

Thanks

RC-2.jpg

RC-5.jpg

RC.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to reply to my own post just to leave this information here for people trying to find info about this motor in the future. A gentleman gave me a clue on a facebook group, he told me the Pailard motor for the Bolex speeds up as you apply more power to the motor. I noticed the cable that came with the Steven Camera Drive motor that I have has 4 connectors, which suggested you can add more batteries or power, the connectors are connected in series which means it's adding power, so I tried applying power to the motor and I noticed that it was running slow when I applied 12v and tried  to run the camera at 24fps, so I added another 12v battery and I was able to tell just by listening that the camera was running faster than at 24fps. I read on the Bolex Collector website that this motor was capable of delivering 8fps, 16fps, 24fps and 32fps. My conclusion is you need:

- 6 v for 8fps

- 12v for 16fps

- 18v for 24fps

- 24v for 32 fps.

The motor speeds up and the governor that the Bolex has takes it to a speed closer than the one you chose. This is not a crystal sync motor as you can imagine, but it's a good addition to a Bolex package.

The thicker connector on the batteries side is the positive. I tried using modern knowledge to try to deduct which wire was the positive one, but it was actually the other way around. I'm glad I didn't burn the motor and now someone else looking in the future can use this info to make the motor work.