[FOR PARTS] Arriflex IIB $650 Or Best Offer + $60 Shipping

Matthew J. Walker

I posted this July 3rd for $999, however I've since saw a listing on eBay for a IIC with a video tap, backp fuse, extra gate, etc. for $1249.00 and realized "Yeah I'm never going to sell this thing". So I'm reposting it.

Price is now $650 or best offer + $60 shipping. Shipping will include signature confirmation and insurance via USPS Priority mail and will ship one business day after the payment is made.

Purchased last year and never tested it because the cost of testing and potentially fixing at the time would have been too high. I've since purchased a Super 16mm camera. The seller who sold this to me sold it to me as a "IIC", however upon inspection, this looks to be a standard model IIB as the ground glass is not removable and the shutter is not variable. Standard IIC's aren't variable shutter, however all IICs have a removable ground glass, this one does not so it is a IIB. The rotary shutter on this particular model is a "butterfly" shutter as is with every model after the IIA. The mirror is clean including the ground glass, internals look clean as well including the 4-perf gate. The ground glass baffles are still within the glass and unbent. Power cord is not in the best condition and as shown and the 3 pin XLR will often slide out of it's metal covering. The hand grip motor is untested. Upon rotating the shutter by hand, it seems to rotate smoothly and the lens turret rotates normally as well. This model has three Arri Standard mounts, unlike some models which have two standard mounts and a single bayonet mount. The viewfinder compartment door mechanism locks and unlocks as normal, and the mechanism that closes the eyepiece works as intended. The rubber eyecup is unusable as it has dry rotted. The 400ft magazine is again untested, but seems to be in good mechanical condition. The locking mechanism on the magazine locks and unlocks normally. The feed spindles and take-up spindles spin smoothly including the footage counter and the collapsable core functions as intended. The Matte box has signs of heavy use and needs cleaning. Overall the camera body and magazine appears to be in heavily used physical condition. Serial number of this camera is Nr.4221.

DISCLAIMER: I CANNOT GUARANTEE THAT THIS IS AN ACTUAL IIB AND NOT AN UPGRADED IIA. There were two models of the IIB in 1960. There was the Arriflex 35 IIB which had a 180 degree fixed shutter, and there was the Arriflex II BV which had a 0-165 degree variable shutter. It's very tricky because the serial number starts with Nr. on IIA models and No. on IIC models, but with IIB models, some used No. and some used Nr. It doesn't help that the IIB compartment doors could fit on IIAs and actually many IIAs were upgraded to IIBs by simply using the newer style magazine, compartment door, and handgrip motor. The II series started around 2000 and ended all the way well into the 15000s with the IIC meaning this could be a fairly early model IIB or a late model IIA. Either way it has the new compartment door, magazine, and handgrip motor making it either a IIA upgraded to a IIB or an actual IIB. I will say though, The internals look identical to the IIC at a glance, which the IIB was. The IIA internals were very different in appearance. It's very hard to find information about the IIA or IIB because the IIC dominated the MOS camera industry. I come to the conclusion that it is a IIB, whether upgraded or not, because in almost every instance it appears that way and I don't have an Arri technician to do a serial number lookup.

Again, shipping will include signature confirmation and insurance via USPS Priority mail and will ship one business day after the payment is made.

s-l1600.jpg

Hello Matthew, I could not find any reference to to the $1,249 2C on E-Bay. Maybe something is wrong with E-Bay because they don't show any 2c in the completed sales filter and surely one must have been sold fairly recently. (They just have a couple of active 2C listings and I'm not in the market as I have a nice 2B.) I would be very surprised if your camera doesn't run like a (loud) clock and you may want to spring for a battery and hook it up, maybe grease  and lube the camera a bit, etc., to increase its appeal.  

The main reason  I'm replying, however, is to say that will while searching E-Bay I came across a posting for the book below; the seller was asking $42.00.  I went to the publisher's website (U. of Mississippi Press) and they are selling both the paperback and hardcover for $19.70 inc. shipping. The blurb looked fascinating and I ordered immediately. 

So I want to bring this to everyone's attention, as I didn't see the book on the forum's search and it may have appeal for others

Chronicle of a Camera - The Arriflex 35 in North America, 1945–1972

FILM STUDIES PHOTOGRAPHY POPULAR CULTUREChronicle of a Camera

Chronicle of a Camera

The Arriflex 35 in North America, 1945–1972

By Norris Pope
Paperback : 9781496814685, 202 pages, 43 b&w illustrations, December 2017
Hardcover : 9781617037412, 202 pages, 43 b&w illustrations, February 2013

Edited by charles pappas
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...