Arriraw converter: question

omar robles

Hello group:

So I was on a ARRI camera owner group where someone posted that using the arriraw converter you can convert footage shot on arri raw such as the odyssey 7q to native 3.2 or 4k upres no different from the mini.  The only difference the guy who posted said is that the mini does it in camera as if you owned a ARRI ALEXA CLASSIC with Odyssey 7q you would have to do it in post using the arriraw converter.. Is what this person saying true?  What are the benefits of this? I have been looking at numerous articles and videos but have not found any information to back up the statement.

Any help would be appreciated

O

• Premium Member

Some of the Alexas actually only record or send out ARRIRAW as Open Gate 3.4K 1.55 : 1 (native) and then the smaller sizes are created from that during conversion from raw.
I assume that the Odyssey is recording raw if that's what is being sent to it, otherwise what's the point? You can record ProRes in the camera, right?  So if the Odyssey records raw, then you'd use a raw converter in post.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the Mini does it in camera", you can record raw in the Mini, or ProRes, and of course anything other than raw is a conversion of raw by definition, raw is what the sensor sends out. Are you asking what are the benefits of converting from raw in post rather than in-camera to be recorded as ProRes?

Yes I am asking if there's any benefit for someone like me who shots arri raw to go through the added step of going through arriraw convertor.  This person mentioned you squeeze out a higher quality image through this process of Arrirraw Convertor as opposed to just recording raw to the Odyssey.

Yes I want to record raw. My goal is to achieve the highest quality footage possible.  I was told shooting raw 2.8 to the Odyssey and then going through Arriraw concert or is the best option to get high quality footage I am just trying to verify this.

• Premium Member

"Best quality" as opposed to what alternative method? Recording ProRes 4444 in camera? Raw is marginally better, you have more control over the image (ProRes in-camera bakes in color temp, ISO, but also a small amount of sharpening, plus it is compressed), but in most cases, you'd have a hard time spotting a quality difference... but every now and then, the lack of compression with Arriraw might make a difference in quality, especially with greeenscreen VFX footage.

If you're asking if 2.8K Arriraw on a Classic Alexa would be the same "quality" as 3.2K ProRes 4444 in an Alexa Mini, again, I think it would be hard to spot the difference, it depends on the shot.