THE forum members 'Shot on FILM' thread.....

• Premium Member

How about we make this the thread where we post our FILM work and we can ask questions and stuff about what we see.....make it the 'go to' thread' on this forum for 'shot on film' we can actually watch......links to pieces and if 'big time' links to IMDB trailers etc etc....there is a LOT of great stuff I keep missing on threads I don't follow......

Edited by Stephen Perera

2 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

How about we make this the thread where we post our FILM work and we can ask questions and stuff about what we see.....make it the 'go to' thread' on this forum for 'shot on film' we can actually watch......links to pieces and if 'big time' links to IMDB trailers etc etc....there is a LOT of great stuff I keep missing on threads I don't follow......

I’m not sure why we need a specific Film thread. There is a whole sub forum for people to talk about their work. What information are you hoping to glean that wouldn’t otherwise be covered?

By all means go ahead, of course, but it just seems a little redundant, as well as likely to get hopelessly cluttered once multiple projects are being discussed.

• Premium Member

I know I know but I mean well hahah....I just found that there are loads of pieces in all sorts of threads and thought would be a good idea to have a film only one in here i guess

Edited by Stephen Perera

23 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

(Edit - it's still true whether anyone wants to downvote it or not!)

Ah, the downvote for no apparent reason. Some people just love to make their opinion known, anonymously, of course, because nothing encourages debate like faceless lurkers disagreeing with you...

• Upvote 2

• Premium Member

If you want to ask Tim Tyler for a special forum, go ahead -- we already have a 16mm and 35mm subforum and considering the fairly small number of daily posts here, I kinda doubt that anyone is missing a post about something shot on film, but it was be easy enough to put [SHOT ON FILM] in the title of the post if that were important.

• Premium Member

I don't understand......I hope I haven't broken any forum rules or anything I was simply excited to share a really great piece by Uli and the fact he shared it in a low footfall thread about tripods felt it would be lost from attention.....and that made me think there was other stuff by people in here that's been done I have missed......

• Upvote 3

• Premium Member
9 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

I don't understand......I hope I haven't broken any forum rules or anything I was simply excited to share a really great piece by Uli and the fact he shared it in a low footfall thread about tripods felt it would be lost from attention.....and that made me think there was other stuff by people in here that's been done I have missed......

I appreciate your intention, Stephen and thank you for your enthusiasm. The film was shared in the 35mm section about a year ago or so ago and got some warm and kind responses.

13 hours ago, Stuart Brereton said:

Ah, the downvote for no apparent reason. Some people just love to make their opinion known, anonymously, of course, because nothing encourages debate like faceless lurkers disagreeing with you...

Yeah, I had a few of those. Impossible to figure out what was said that is objectionable?

Edited by Uli Meyer

On 8/19/2020 at 6:35 PM, Stuart Brereton said:

Sure enough, this post got downvoted.

Edit:  Now up to 3 downvotes. And 2 on this post.

You do realize you are making my point for me, right?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Stuart Brereton said:

Sure enough, this post got downvoted. Thanks for proving my point, whoever you are.

I think I have become the champion down arrow scorer of late .. anything deemed anti film will get one .. even when its not anti film..  I have my suspicions.. and there will be a day of reckoning .. they will pay dearly for their transgressions ..   they will be broken upon the digital wheel.. and scattered to the wind .. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Perera said:

its not me in case u think it is....hahahaha

I thought it was necessary to balance it, so I gave Phil an upvote ?

Edit: Just to make sure no one gets a wrong idea: I haven't given anyone on this thread down votes, nor do I endorse using them...

Edited by Heikki Repo
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member

the way I see it, voting on this forum is NOT working like "I like this = upvote, I dislike this = downvote) . 

But it is more like: 

- "I like this post or it contains lots of useful information" = upvote 

- "This post insults other members and/or purposefully tries to spread false and misleading, potentially harmful information even when the member who wrote it has been notified about this before" = downvote  

- "This post contains no useful information at all and is only a personal opinion stated as a absolute fact without any reasoning" = downvote or neutral . Though if it is funny enough post and does not insult anybody, one can upvote it if one likes 

Edited by aapo lettinen
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I don't even see how you vote up or down on the forum or where the result is posted... I do see a "heart" symbol which I guess means a "like".

If you hover over the heart symbol, you get a green up arrow, or a red down arrow. Your up or down scores used to be displayed under your profile pic.

18 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

the way I see it, voting on this forum is NOT working like "I like this = upvote, I dislike this = downvote) . 

But it is more like: 

- "I like this post or it contains lots of useful information" = upvote 

- "This post insults other members and/or purposefully tries to spread false and misleading, potentially harmful information even when the member who wrote it has been notified about this before" = downvote  

- "This post contains no useful information at all and is only a personal opinion stated as a absolute fact without any reasoning" = downvote or neutral . Though if it is funny enough post and does not insult anybody, one can upvote it if one likes 

A simple like or dislike is easy to convey. Trying to express more complex opinions, like the ones you've suggested, is asking a lot of a simple green or red arrow. If people have opinions that they wish to share, they should do so, and not anonymously. That is, after all, why this is a real names forum.

• Premium Member
19 minutes ago, Stuart Brereton said:

A simple like or dislike is easy to convey. Trying to express more complex opinions, like the ones you've suggested, is asking a lot of a simple green or red arrow. If people have opinions that they wish to share, they should do so, and not anonymously. That is, after all, why this is a real names forum.

it may be changing to the simple like-dislike now when the votes are not counted under the user profile. So maybe it is just changing to the more traditional "I don't like your profile pic so I'll downvote all your posts" type of system which the Internet is known for :)

• Premium Member
47 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

One Star Wars was shot on an F900 ! ⅔ inch sensor HD..  

"Attack of the Clones" was shot on the F900, and then "Revenge of the Sith" was shot on the F950, also 2/3" -- but at least it was recorded to 10-bit 4:4:4 video, not 8-bit 3:1:1 like "Attack of the Clones" was.

2 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

"Attack of the Clones" was shot on the F900, and then "Revenge of the Sith" was shot on the F950, also 2/3" -- but at least it was recorded to 10-bit 4:4:4 video, not 8-bit 3:1:1 like "Attack of the Clones" was.

It makes you wonder .. that in 2002, a major feature film ,with big stars ,was shot ⅔ inch sensor 8 bit .. and folk didn't run screaming from the cinema .. well except for Ewan McGregors  very odd English accent ,which would have been just cause .. and now production are worried about an A73 as a B cam for corporate interviews because its 8bit 420.. and I even got a request to shoot a non VFX TV documentary, running around a mountain for days on end, that had to be 12 bit 444  Sony Venice .. .. I mean I love my little Fx9 FF sensor ,mostly because it makes interviews easier .. but the numbers game is getting a bit out of hand .. 8K ..don't get me started .an ego project from the suits in NHK Lala land .. have to admire the marketing though I guess ..