THE forum members 'Shot on FILM' thread.....

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

"Attack of the Clones" was shot on the F900, and then "Revenge of the Sith" was shot on the F950, also 2/3" -- but at least it was recorded to 10-bit 4:4:4 video, not 8-bit 3:1:1 like "Attack of the Clones" was.

I don’t think either of those films have aged well look-wise, while ‘The Phantom Menace’ still looks pretty good. Maybe that has more to do with shooting on real locations vs mostly blue screen, but shooting 35mm anamorphic on ‘Menace’ didn’t hurt. ?

20 minutes ago, Robin R Probyn said:

It makes you wonder .. that in 2002, a major feature film ,with big stars ,was shot ⅔ inch sensor 8 bit .. and folk didn't run screaming from the cinema ..

It didn’t look very good back in 2002. Some of us did sheepishly slink out of theaters muttering to ourselves too. Michael Mann’s ‘Collateral’ (2004) on the other hand looked really good.

36 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

I don’t think either of those films have aged well look-wise, while ‘The Phantom Menace’ still looks pretty good. Maybe that has more to do with shooting on real locations vs mostly blue screen, but shooting 35mm anamorphic on ‘Menace’ didn’t hurt. ?

It didn’t look very good back in 2002. Some of us did sheepishly slink out of theaters muttering to ourselves too. Michael Mann’s ‘Collateral’ (2004) on the other hand looked really good.

But you were ok with Ewan McGregors accent ..  ? .. but TBH there were alot of feature films ,even shot of film , that by todays standards didn't look great .. over lit ,multiple shadows .. 

1 hour ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Didn't notice. Then again, as an American I probably wouldn't know the difference...

The weird accent to used for pretty funny for anyone from the UK..  just couldn't take it seriously ..  he's done other "normal " English accents ,but this one was really odd.. ? 

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Robin R Probyn said:

The weird accent to used for pretty funny for anyone from the UK..  just couldn't take it seriously ..  he's done other "normal " English accents ,but this one was really odd.. ? 

He was trying to sound like Alec Guinness I guess.

In the list of egregious Phantom Menace accents, next to whiny kid Anakin sounding like one of the Brady Bunch (somehow he grows up to sound like James Earl Jones), the greedy hooked nose slave trader Watto sounding vaguely Middle-Eastern or Jewish, the bumbling side-kick villains of the Trade Federation sounding Japanese, not to mention Jar-Jar Binks... Ewan McGregor‘s accent is the one you couldn’t take seriously?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

In the list of egregious Phantom Menace accents, next to whiny kid Anakin sounding like one of the Brady Bunch (somehow he grows up to sound like James Earl Jones), the greedy hooked nose slave trader Watto sounding vaguely Middle-Eastern or Jewish, the bumbling side-kick villains of the Trade Federation sounding Japanese, not to mention Jar-Jar Binks... Ewan McGregor‘s accent is the one you couldn’t take seriously?

Forgot about all the racist stereotypes... You forgot to mention Natalie Portman doing her best ‘hypnotized foreign queen’ accent. Even young Keira Knightley has a few lines in the movie and can’t pull that accent off. If you’ve made Ms. Keira dull and lifeless on screen, well. That takes a lot of work...

The Phantom Menace alas has a yucky transfer on Blu Ray (and now on 4K Blu Ray) which is a DNR mess. I guess George wanted to make it look more like digital, such a shame. ROTS looks great though (and is apparently a real looker in 4K), big step up from AOTC (which looks fine). 

• Premium Member

Yes, I always thought that "Revenge of the Sith" looked quite good technically. Didn't look like film, but it was very good HD.

"The Phantom Menace" is technically uneven, for some reason, a few shots got really noisy, and then there is also that muddy 1080i HD scene stuck in there. But in general, I like the look of the 5245 50D and 5277 (I believe) 320T stocks.

I note that in the board room the pesky junior executive makes reference to missing data. What could have occurred? I'd say, at a glance, that what we're looking at is a meeting chaired by the boss of the film company deciding on what to do about this alarming situation, with an announcement to major shareholders looming. In fact, the guy in white is a major international shareholder representing a large internet firm. Vader, a film guy from way back, is fuming that they didn't film those night shots on film and store the original camera negative.

17 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Good point sir .. and I agree totally .. but they are complete characters , not just the accent ,.. and how they got away with them god only knows .. the most obvious one ,in my mind being the Jar Jar Bings character .. cringing to even watch .. basically Star Wars went to shite in a basket after the Empire Strikes Back.. Ewoks was the beginning of the end .. when you know you can make more money from Merchandise than the film..  the Mustafa Wong baddie is still with us..

Edited by Robin R Probyn
spelling

I agree, Ewoks ruined the last one of those three, just a bit. And even the opening sequence on Tatooine drags in a few places. Lightsaber jump with Luke on the flying skiff thing was cool though, worth the wait, and final duel with old Dad with the Emperor cackling away. The Emperor definitely didn't disappoint. So on the whole Jedi was very good in my opinion, if you go with the Luke, Vader and Palpatine bits. Even the little father, son chat on the walkway was brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2020 at 5:53 AM, Stephen Perera said:

How about we make this the thread where we post our FILM work and we can ask questions and stuff about what we see.....make it the 'go to' thread' on this forum for 'shot on film' we can actually watch......links to pieces and if 'big time' links to IMDB trailers etc etc....there is a LOT of great stuff I keep missing on threads I don't follow......

Stephen,

There is a channel on Vimeo with nearly 1500 clips shot on film. 2perf 35mm , anamorphic, 65mm, Super 8mm  and 16mm. The latest clip features a short documentary about Jean-Pierre Beauviala. The channel is SHOT ON FILM https://vimeo.com/channels/149193

Enjoy!

Edited by James Compton
  • Like 1

Stephen,

I hand picked a few from the SHOT ON FILM channel that really shine:

A Man of Enterprise (shot on Kodak 7285 Ektachrome 16mm) : 

The Peninsula Shanghai (shot on FUJI 400T)

HURRY UP AND WAIT (5219 3perf): 

IN YOUR HANDS(35mm and Super 8mm): 

• 2 months later...