New Sofia Coppola film 'On the Rocks'

1 minute ago, Stephen Perera said:

she looks nice! well done.....

Again the massed entourage ,she is a Louis Vuitton ambassador , made me make the lighting flatter than I had it originally ..  but she s a striking looking lady so not difficult to make here look good .. no filters .. Sigma cine zoom ..

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
On 8/20/2020 at 1:51 PM, Robin R Probyn said:

Again the massed entourage ,she is a Louis Vuitton ambassador , made me make the lighting flatter than I had it originally ..  but she s a striking looking lady so not difficult to make here look good .. no filters .. Sigma cine zoom ..

did she or 'her people' ask you to light flatter more beauty light obv?

On 8/20/2020 at 7:51 AM, Robin R Probyn said:

I still think it looks great.. although my taste is highly commercial

8 hours ago, Stephen Perera said:

did she or 'her people' ask you to light flatter more beauty light obv?

There wasn't specifically a "lighting adviser ".. there was alot of people looking on .. but basically her manager was making the decisions about the lighting .. I prefer a ¾, one light soft source .. but that gives a shadow .. and they often don't want that .. they want a very on axis flat light .. I see the point .. but she didn't really have any wrinkles in the first place ..  but the entourage  get used to seeing that flat style and then thats all they know.. and its safe for them to give the go ahead ..  if I was a world famous stills photographer they would all have being saying how great it was .. ?   

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I saw the film on Apple TV and I really enjoyed it......a lot.....Bill Murray...great comeback.....what can you say.....his singing voice was very good too hahah...and the lead actress was fantastic with her expressions that said it all when words weren't forthcoming....and I liked the philosophy of the film......"a woman that is confident in her effect on you.......that's...sexy" is my favourite line

Technically I enjoyed the 'lensing' of the film......it being an introspective piece where a wife is wondering whether she is being cheated on I get the loads of shallow depth of field and the few occasions where the focus slipped etc are forgiven hahah....the colour palette of Vision3 as expected had beautiful texture and colour depth in the daylight scenes and it looked like a film not like an ultra-realistic set up piece of fiction......

I CAN criticise the sound design a bit on one occasion.....do we really need the vintage Alpha Romeo sports car to sound like Chitty Chitty Bang Bang...I think we have developed as audiences from that need to hear the extra backfires etc.....comedic as they are of course....

Well done to Sofia Coppola and I look forward to your next one.....for personal reasons Lost in Translation is in my top 5 films of all time.....

• Premium Member

best moment for me was the return of Bill Murray to a film.....loving the 200T and 500T stocks with their beautiful blues...read a bit about the film here too....

https://www.moviemaker.com/on-the-rocks-cinematographer-philippe-le-sourd-writer-director-sofia-coppola-vision/

Quote from article: "After five or six light tests I concluded that I was going to pull the film at night. There was something very soft, and beautiful, and pulling the film helped us find shades of gray and black in the streets. Doing tests also allowed me to establish a general look with my colorist, Damien Van der Cruyssen. We both realized that scanning the film at 4K gave us the freedom to give the look we wanted to the final film."

On-the-Rocks.jpg

Edited by Stephen Perera
  • Like 1