Is there anyway to use an iPhone as an on-board monitor?

I’m a dop and I just realized that I spend most of my time analyzing frames and saving references and watching things on ig on my phone to judge what I like and don’t like so why not try using my phone as a monitor?

Brightness won’t be an issue I’ll solve that problem. Must have close to 0 latency. Must be colour accurate obv, no crushed contrast or saturated colours etc. 

Anyway this is possible? I know they have knock offs of the teradek tablet transceiver but I think that changes the colours too much. 

• Premium Member

Not really, no. There's no low-latency way to get a signal into it. Even if there was, the battery life on cellphones is not really sufficient to do that job and the colour is of dubious accuracy.

SmallHD have a lot of options with a lot of software capability that includes snapping stills, and the displays are essentially cellphone displays anyway.

There are systems that try to do it via wifi which is okay for casual watching around set, but it's not really something that you'd want to try to operate with.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Some Sony cameras allow you to stream directly to an iPhone/iPad/android app called 'Imaging Edge Mobile', or third party apps like 'Field Monitor'.

https://www.adamwilt.com/fieldmonitor/

There is a delay, fine for a director to watch on but probably too much for an operator in most circumstances.
I often use it to do 2 camera interview setups, where I can be at one camera and view and change settings on the other using the app on my phone.