Unusual Arriflex 16 S/ST/SB motor?

Robert Ditto

• Premium Member

Hello and Good Day to Everyone!

I came across this unusual Arriflex 16 S/ST/SB motor and I was wondering if any of you ARRI old school gurus might know more about it.

It is branded "ARRIFLEX Corporation of America" and has these identifiers on the plate.

339-837 MARK III

MODEL NO. 150F

SERIAL NO. 532M

I have tried to search the internet for information on it and I have come up with NIL. Is there anyone out there who can help me?

20200821_080022.jpg

20200821_075945.jpg

20200821_080049.jpg

• Premium Member
34 minutes ago, Dom Jaeger said:

The Arriflex Corporation of America was the first subsidiary of Arnold and Richter outside of Germany, formed in 1978.

See:

https://www.fdtimes.com/2017/09/11/arri-history/

Thanks Dom! I did google it before I commented but couldn’t find anything. You learn something new every day ?

• Premium Member

Ha! Nice one Charlie! You’re more reliable than Jon Fauer (or I’ve misinterpreted his words).

So it seems the “Arriflex Corporation of America” was formed many years earlier than 1978, as far back as 1959. 

Thanks for the info. 

Your collection of Arriflex literature is amazing!

Edited by Dom Jaeger
Grammar

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I'm fairly sure that is an animation motor. Disney bought a slew of Arriflex 16S cameras in the 1950's to use in their animation studios. I serviced a number of them over the years. That looks like an animation motor, probably made by Arriflex Corporation of America for Disney studios or one of the other animation studios that were popular in the 1950's, 60's and 70's.

Best,

-Tim