Arri 35 IIC

Boris bruno

My IIC has a seven pin socket on the camera motor, and the cable connects with this and has a 4 pin XLR connector at the other end. I will very soon be soldering a fuse case with 5A fuse into a length of electrical cable, with 4 pin XLR connector at one end and terminal connectors for the battery at the other. I will be using a standard 12V, 7.2 AH sealed battery. I'm advised that I must solder the positive wire coming off the battery to pin 4 of the XLR connector. Between the positive terminal and pin 4 goes the fuse. The negative wire off the battery goes to pin 1. Pins 2 and 3 are apparently ignored as they're not needed? Now, bear in mind, I've not done this before and have no idea if this is correct. It's what I've been told. This is a suggestion only and I'm not recommending that you or anyone do this. It's what I've been told to do and I'm going to solder it up and will report back to let you know if it works.

My IIC is fitted with 2-perf gate and ground glass and they appear to be original Arri parts.

• Premium Member
13 hours ago, Boris bruno said:

Will it fit a 2pin to 5pin xlr 

That's just the battery cell, it needs a case with a socket. If you don't have any electrical experience, best get a battery shop or electrical tech to help you.

Your motor looks like a constant speed (governed) model. It will run at either 24 or 25 fps (reasonably accurately, but not crystal). A 12V battery should run it OK, even though the original batteries were 16V. 12V battery packs are much easier to find. Get something around 7 to 10 Ah capacity, with a charger.

The standard for 12V batteries is a 4 pin XLR socket, so probably the easiest thing is to get your power cable modified from 5 pin to 4 pin XLR. (The 2 pin plug goes in the motor, don't mess with that end.) Tell the shop who will modify your cable that the wire connected to pin 1 on the 5 pin XLR is ground. 

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, Jon O'Brien said:

I will very soon be soldering a fuse case with 5A fuse into a length of electrical cable,

I would use a higher rated fuse, like 10 or 15A. The start up current can spike above 5A.

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, Rob Carlson said:

Hi. I seem to remember all 2cs had a full aperture gate. At least the Panavised ones Dis so anamorphic wasn’t a problem.  That was many moons ago. I have no idea why anyone would want anything but full aperture.  
best

Most 2Cs would have come with an Academy gate originally, but the wider and taller Scope gate could be ordered. Certainly these days (and for many years) you could just use the Scope gate, which is not quite full silent aperture but close, and extract what you want. You still need the appropriate ground glass for framing. 

There was never a full aperture gate, because the slot for the pulldown claw gets in the way. Below is the 1.37 Academy gate at left, and the Scope gate at right. The Scope gate is definitely wider than Academy, and extends very close to the claw slot. But the aspect ratio is 1.20:1 (for anamorphic) instead of 1.33:1. I can see why a lot of people assume it's full aperture though.

888475999_AcademyvsScopegates.thumb.jpg.3d5a631ffbd81304447e28550a797a55.jpg

• Premium Member

One nice (rare) accessory for the 2C is the Arriflex 3C Crystal motor. It’s a pistol grip motor, like your 2C version and has the same gears, but it has a crystal sync variable motor and 12v 4-pin XLR built in. I’ve run mine from a normal 12v power supply as well as from D-tap. If you can find one, I recommend it!

519F6801-9744-4E62-B94C-CB87B2F3F865.thumb.jpeg.3a9486992464702d033bb9ba0c0421b4.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

Boris,

You got a nice package there. I'm a little jealous of your BNCR mount! Good Arri standard-mount lenses are a bit difficult to find and they're not cheap. 

I just picked up this old Pan Cinor 38-155 and got it cleaned up by Simon Wyss. Really looking forward to shooting with it. 

The flat base is a Cinema Products sync motor, which runs off a 16.8V battery belt. 

177855254_10158188766126483_4372557328159073445_n.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/23/2020 at 3:49 PM, Boris bruno said:

Hi guys so I as in accessories I only have camera and gates. I also have motor and two mags. I don’t know what else I need besides lens. can you guys lead me to where to find accessories I checked eBay and didn’t really find much. I need battety I have power cord. Also I’m looking into to buying tripods and how to assemble with video monitor. 

Boris before I upgraded to 235 2-perf Techniscope my workhorse movie camera was the ARRI 2B 2-perf Techniscope movie camera. For the motor what you have is totally fine,  it is the very basic 12V motor that originally came with the movie camera but if you can try to upgrade to the Cinematography Electronics (CE) 2C crystal motor, you will be able to not only achieve crystal speed to 1-80fps  but other special F/X cinematography features. The 3C crystal handgrip motor Sats mentions above is also fabulous and it will work with the 2C. For the battery anything between 12V-16.8V will work fine with the 2C. I recommend the CINE 60 16.8V battery belt it worked flawlessly on location and for handheld use (see pics below). For indoor studio the CEI 12V power supply was absolutely solid. Both the CINE 6O 16.8 V battery belt version and the CEI 12V power supply are extremely rare nowadays so I do not think you will have much luck finding either of these. Any CINE 60 belt that is 12V or more will work fine though. As for tripod I recommend Cartoni FL7, C20 or C40 for the 2C. The Cartoni FL7 is very rare but near identical to it's later generation model the C20 if you are lucky enough to find a FL7  it will support up to 66lbs, has 7 step drag and counter balance, it pans 360° . The only drawback is the vertical tilt is only +/- 50° on the FL7 model.  As for a video monitor you will first need a video tap, a very basic video 2C tap is not too hard to find, Visual Products still makes them last time I checked but be warned they are expensive.  Basic 2C video taps do float around on the used marked from time to time and much more economical. The 2C Jurgens video tap is very rare but the best video tap and VF next to the incredibly rare Fellini Door  (see pic). The Fellini Door VF  was my preference on the 2B 2-perf Techniscope. 

CINE 60 16.8V Battery belt CEI 12V powers supply.jpeg

ARRI 2B Techniscope Cinematography Electronics 80mm T1.4 Leica lens.jpg

Edited by Rob Guerrero
  • Like 1