Stabler Matrazzo

Help Finding Young Filmmakers

Hello! I am a 14 year old aspiring filmmaker from Winston Salem, NC. For the last couple of years, I've had the itch to make a short film, however, I don't have anyone I know of who would be interested in helping me write and produce a short film. Do any of you have advice on how I can find other young filmmakers like myself? It would be nice to have them local to my area, but honestly just finding a group of young filmmakers, no matter their location, would be perfect! Thank you so much!! :) 

• Upvote 1

Constantly make shorts and post them to Youtube. Submit for any Youtube film fest or contest you can find... If you build it, they will come.

• Like 1

Look up the local youtuber groups? They usually skew very young. 

Almost in another couple of years I'd say you're "old enough" to go along and help out working on College Student Film Sets (and even indie "adult" sets). 

• Like 1

Don't wait for anyone to give you permission. I made that mistake. You can invent how you make a film. The worst thing that can happen is that your first couple of projects stink. But there is no way to learn without getting right into it.

• Like 1

The struggle is real😭

my advice to you is to write multiple scripts, and then rewrite them till you are fully confident about them. then practice with your camera (seriously the camera of your smartphone is good enough). have fun with creating your own diffusers and reflectors. and then try your best to make your storyboard very precise. so when you meet the right people you would be fully prepared and absolutely ready.

All the best!   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Abdul Rahman Jamous said:

The struggle is real😭

my advice to you is to write multiple scripts, and then rewrite them till you are fully confident about them. then practice with your camera (seriously the camera of your smartphone is good enough). have fun with creating your own diffusers and reflectors. and then try your best to make your storyboard very precise. so when you meet the right people you would be fully prepared and absolutely ready.

All the best!   

Thank you so much for the advice...

This really helps!!

12 hours ago, Abdul Rahman Jamous said:

one more thing, try to make your scripts less than 10 pages long.

Completely agree, because one page equals (roughly) one minute on screen. 

And short films which are beyond 10 minutes don't really add proportionally more towards your progression/development/career for the effort it takes out of you.