Does filming in Canada cost more money?

I'm talking about an independent production or short film, where I can not get the tax incentives from labor costs.

It seems like food and camera rental costs quite a bit more than it is in the USA, with the 13% totally sales tax, to feed the crew and rent equipment.

Borrowlenses has much better rate than the handful of rental houses in Toronto...Am I right in this?

• Premium Member

I'm not a producer but there are multiple ways another country might save you money -- the exchange rate for one thing, the average crew salaries, tax incentives, location fees, etc.  So that stuff may add up to be more than increased equipment rental costs.

17 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I'm not a producer but there are multiple ways another country might save you money -- the exchange rate for one thing, the average crew salaries, tax incentives, location fees, etc.  So that stuff may add up to be more than increased equipment rental costs.

thanks for the response David. But I did some research, even with the exchange rate factor, Ontario has 13% tax in total. Being a small production, I'm not eligible for any tax incentives.

My main costs are 1) gear rental 2) crew 3) food 4) set design/ costumes 5) actors.

And I found that 1) , 3) 4) costs more due to the sales tax, considering Oregon and Delaware and (a rock throw away) in New Hampshire has no sales tax at all. 

Location, crew and actors' rate costs about the same for this particular one-apartment shoot.