How would you time these shots? (sunset natural light)

Berry Spinx

https://imgur.com/a/1iYonZn

I've ordered them in the order I think they would be shot chronologically. 

Pic 1 & 2 - magic hour - roughly 1 hour before sunset. I think it's magic hour because the contrast is quite high and the sun is still up there. I believe 1 has some sort of bounce because I'm guessing he should be silhouetted due to the dynamic range.

3,4,5,6 - is this past magic hour nearing sunset? The contrast between sky and subject should be less right? And to get that sunset orange sky I should be shooting towards the direction the sun is setting right? Otherwise it would be a darker cool background and the subject would be front lit.

7&8 - like 10 minutes before sunset?

9 sunset.

I'm trying to shoot something similar to 3-6 where I get the golden sky but also enough exposure on the subject to be able to capture a wide shot and not have to light it / bounce. What hour before sunset do you think I should shoot at? 

Also correct me if Im' wrong but after sunset, there is no more glow in the sky right?

As the sun gets closer to the horizon, the atmosphere begins to warm it up. You'll notice warmer hard light. Immediately after it sets, the sky is now providing all of the light (known as magic hour, which ironically is usually only 20 minutes or so). Most, if not all of those shots are during magic hour.

There's really not much grading being done on these shots outside of adding more cold or warm tones.

Judging by how soft the light is, but without actually seeing the sun clearly in one of the shots, I'd say those were filmed on a day when the sun was setting behind a thin layer of clouds effectively acting as diffusion. However, you can replicate that with magic hour and either warming up the image with white balance, in the grade, or both. ?

11 hours ago, AJ Young said:

As the sun gets closer to the horizon, the atmosphere begins to warm it up. You'll notice warmer hard light. Immediately after it sets, the sky is now providing all of the light (known as magic hour, which ironically is usually only 20 minutes or so). Most, if not all of those shots are during magic hour.

There's really not much grading being done on these shots outside of adding more cold or warm tones.

Judging by how soft the light is, but without actually seeing the sun clearly in one of the shots, I'd say those were filmed on a day when the sun was setting behind a thin layer of clouds effectively acting as diffusion. However, you can replicate that with magic hour and either warming up the image with white balance, in the grade, or both.

?

i thought magic hour started 1 hour before sunset and up to 30 minutes before sunset?

• Premium Member

From Wikipedia:

In photography, golden hour is the period of daytime shortly after sunrise or before sunset, during which daylight is redder and softer than when the Sun is higher in the sky. 

The period of time right before sunrise and shortly after sunset is called the magic hour especially by cinematographers. During this time the brightness of the sky matches the brightness of streetlights, signs, car headlights and lit windows. Also, during this period of time there are no sharp shadows because the sun has set (or hasn't risen). The magic hour is actually closer to twenty or thirty minutes.

• Like 2