K-3 16mm Camera Record Trigger leaver?

Cale Boys

I'm trying to rig up my should rig handles to be able to stop/start on the record button via a lever/cable or some sort without having to actually hold it in all the time, this is will free up my hands to stabilize the camera. 

Here's the camera: https://imgur.com/a/fTB1euW

Here's an example of the Bolex system that has it so you can just use a shutter release cable plugged in like this (unfortunately the K-3 doesn't work like this) : https://imgur.com/a/bKbKbYu

What sort of leaver can I run down the handles that when squeezed/pushed, it pushes down on the front record button?

6 hours ago, Cale Boys said:

Here's an example of the Bolex system that has it so you can just use a shutter release cable plugged in like this (unfortunately the K-3 doesn't work like this) : https://imgur.com/a/bKbKbYu

Very cool. Do you know who that rig belongs to or if someone makes that grip that fits the Bolex shutter release.

I'm curious, have you had bad results with the stability of the K3 when just shooting with the pistol grip and the viewfinder? I've had very good results with the Bolex and the Bolex Pistol grip.

3 hours ago, Ben Ericson said:

Very cool. Do you know who that rig belongs to or if someone makes that grip that fits the Bolex shutter release.

I'm curious, have you had bad results with the stability of the K3 when just shooting with the pistol grip and the viewfinder? I've had very good results with the Bolex and the Bolex Pistol grip.

Unfortunately that’s a random post on Facebook but I did read the owner bought a small rig handle and just drilled a normal shutter release cable through it.

im actually building a rig with a nucleus-m handle to pull focus with my left hand and then a stop/start button with my right right hand. I might need to take down this post as I found out you can stop/start by just plugging in the cable to the front like the Bolex can. 

Edited by Cale Boys
  • Like 1

Cable releases have a threaded end which screws into the start button. You then twist or press a ring to lock and unlock the release. That still needs two hands unless you're quite dexterous, but I seem to remember back in the day that there was a version that locked automatically, then released when you pressed it again. I don't know how you'd find one now.

BTW I've just tried my K3 and it needs a very long travel on the cable release rod. Mine won't trigger it.

Edited by Mark Dunn

On 9/3/2020 at 12:51 AM, Mark Dunn said:

Cable releases have a threaded end which screws into the start button. You then twist or press a ring to lock and unlock the release. That still needs two hands unless you're quite dexterous, but I seem to remember back in the day that there was a version that locked automatically, then released when you pressed it again. I don't know how you'd find one now.

BTW I've just tried my K3 and it needs a very long travel on the cable release rod. Mine won't trigger it.

Oh really? I read elsewhere after posting this that a shutter release cable can trigger stop/stop on the K-3. 

Is your cable just a regular one from online? What's the automatically locked one you're mentioning?

15 hours ago, Cale Boys said:

Oh really? I read elsewhere after posting this that a shutter release cable can trigger stop/stop on the K-3. 

Is your cable just a regular one from online? What's the automatically locked one you're mentioning?

I've had mine for decades. I merely suggest it as something to check. I'm not referring to any specific product.

The K3 doesn't have a stop-stop function- you'd need a locking type release if you don't want to hold the button in while shooting. They're on ebay.

10 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

I've had mine for decades. I merely suggest it as something to check. I'm not referring to any specific product.

The K3 doesn't have a stop-stop function- you'd need a locking type release if you don't want to hold the button in while shooting. They're on ebay.

Could you please link me or tell me the name of the stop-start? Having trouble hunting one down

Sorry, I know what you mean. The cable release that locks when pushed down, yeah mine does that. The new information is you're saying the plunger needs to be way longer. I wonder by how much?

https://imgur.com/a/XOOR3yt.  This one would work I think

14 hours ago, Cale Boys said:

Sorry, I know what you mean. The cable release that locks when pushed down, yeah mine does that. The new information is you're saying the plunger needs to be way longer. I wonder by how much?

Well can't you just try it? On mine the button appears to be quite deep, and when I try the cable release it extends forward- the release actually screws into the button- so it needs a long extension.

Edited by Mark Dunn

12 hours ago, Mark Dunn said:

Well can't you just try it? On mine the button appears to be quite deep, and when I try the cable release it extends forward- the release actually screws into the button- so it needs a long extension.

An expensive trial and error buying shutter release cables seeing which one can trigger the stop/start function. 
I’ll keep digging around