Confused with how to use the light meter, what did I do wrong?

John Mikka

So I just got this light meter Sekonic 358, and I was hoping to use it to check the accuracy of my old Nikon FM with a built in spot meter. But obviously it's either I did something wrong or the Sekonic is faulty. Can someone help me?

I know the camera is measuring the reflected light, and the meter is measuring the light falling into the dome. But I'm pressing both meter against the curtain, so why is it not in unison?

I posted record videos to best illustrate my question.

https://youtu.be/SOA8P8an0Y4

https://youtu.be/VUc7fPyQGpI

Also, I noticed that in this scenario, the llight mainly comes from the window which is behind the curtain, there aren't much light shinning upon from the other side, so I'm not sure if the reflected light from the curtain being white will cause a 3 stop of a difference? help me to understand... i'm so confused...

I tested the meter and camera spot meter again, under the sunlight over a surface, and both reading seems to match, so I think there is something I'm not understanding correctly here.
My main concern is if this curtain situation were a real life scenario, and my camera didn't have the internal meter, how would I meter it with only an incidence one, am I supposed to think if it's a white curtain I have to +3/4 stops???

I think you should watch this video, you are confused and explaining at that extent would take a long time. There are some other very good videos on YouTube that may give you some more info so you can ask more concrete questions if you still have them.

Edited by Ruben Arce
Spelling mistake

9 minutes ago, Ruben Arce said:

I think you should watch this video, you are confused and explaining at that extent would take a long time. There are some other very good videos on YouTube that may give you some more info so you can ask cmoe concrete questions if you still have them.

Yes, this is exactly what I needed.. thank you!