Is this the end of the cinema?

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

https://www.redsharknews.com/is-this-the-end-of-the-cinema?

I read a comment there that poo-pooed going to the movies as it is not 4K. I have not been to a movie since Feb 2020. Once the corrosive virus hit that killed the cinema for me. I used to go to a handful of movies a year. It was something different, everything does not have to be 4K. People still shoot muzzle loaders and process B&W film in their bathrooms. Low tech has its own charm. Unless you got a nice home theatre, lots of distractions at home. Being at the cinema kinda forces you to stick with the film. 

As an archivist I work with some really messed up films. Lots of vinegar syndrome and multi-generation dupes. It is as far as you can get from 4K. After dealing with the archival material, I'm happy with Blu-ray at home. But that does not mean I would not move up to 4K if $$ was no object.

My only regret is not photo-documenting all the old time theatres in L.A. while growing up there. You take them for granted and boom...one day they are all gone.

The extra resolution of 4K matters more if you're sitting closer to the screen. Plus, the resolution of a traditional film print (not an original negative) is not exactly "4K." Also, there are 4K UHD blu-ray's available now with HDR. Depending on the display you're watching these on, you should get brighter highlights and a deeper black level than you get at a theater, unless it's a Dolby Vision theater. 

• Premium Member

I just attended my first public screening since Covid at a little theater in the middle of nowhere and it was empty. I don't know if people are ready yet, but people are also busy worrying about other things like finances. It's for sure a "soft" launch and I bet once theaters open nation wide, they'll start advertising more for the new movies. That will help drive the regular public back. 

I think the cineplex is doomed tho...

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

It'll be interesting to see what happens when all the studios have their own streaming platforms.  With enough subscribers, why spend all that money on promoting a movie for cinema release. If the demand for seeing a film on the big screen stays low, cinemas might become a niche thing. I hope not.