Back light in Gallery Advice

Jack James

JackJacks 12 hours ago

Hello forum!

I've been tasked with lighting this room, but i am on a very tight budget & I am unable to rig lights in the ceiling and the lights have to be as far away from the walls as they are tall (higher the lights are, further away they have to be).

We will be shooting mainly looking in the direction as shown in the image with a 32mm on 35MM SENSOR. 

I am really wanting quite a moody, backlit look which i don't think could be achieved from using the existing overhead house lights (series of daylight & tungsten florescent tubes as pictured). I am planning on using two Joker 800w Leko lights rigged at the opposite end of the room (about 80ft away) bouncing off the end flat section of ceiling (white) to create what i hope to be a shaft of soft backlight?

What sort of illumination would this give me and how could i supplement this light (possibly low laying Astera Titan Tubes, was a thought) whilst adhering to the 'rules' set out as listed in my first paragraph? Or any alternatives to Jokers that could give me the reach to the back, being able to shape the light & a bigger punch of backlight?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Jack

A number of questions. 

I believe I’ve seen this post on Roger Deakins forums and you wanted it to be similar to The Goldfinch? Anyways. 

To bounce the light (Jokers) the way you said requires the lights to be higher than said wall. That wall is as high as the ceiling so I am very much confused. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong wall? Either way I have no clue what your shooting stop is or how high you can rate your camera. 

If you want to get the Goldfinch look without rigging to the roof you could use balloon lights... as I imagine sky panels are out of the question. However those are expensive. Through the top windows the skylights seem to be the obvious choice but I remember for some reason you can’t use those. 

For a far more educated and informed suggestion we need much more information. However a way that sprung to mind is you could have light coming from one of the door ways and go from there. If you do a reverse key or something to in a sense and cheat it. Who knows.