Determining Age of 35 IIb

tom mcgarrity

• Premium Member

As far as I know (and confirmed by that thread Simon linked to) serial numbers below 2000 are WWII era models of the original Arriflex 35. What makes you think yours is a IIB?

Do you have pics of the camera?

The 35 and first 35II models had a simple eccentric screw movement rather than the cardiod (rounded triangle) cam design that was introduced with the IIA around 1953. Have a look at my IIC blog post for pictures of both types of movement:

http://cinetinker.blogspot.com/2014/04/arriflex-35-iic.html

A brass viewfinder sounds earlier than a 2B too. Very early models (I think below serial no 1000) have only one pinch release for all three mounts on the turret, rather than a separate release for each. I think all the WWII models had a Pertinax (type of Bakelite) gate rather than a steel one.

Is the serial number on both the body and the door? 

• Premium Member

Yes that’s the early pulldown mechanism. Looks like you’ve got yourself an original Arriflex 35 Handkamera, probably from the early 1940s going by the serial number. Congratulations! Might have filmed WWII. Bit of a collector‘s piece, but still useable. It will have a 120 degree shutter angle.

Is there a serial number on the inside of the door as well?

On 9/19/2020 at 2:35 PM, tom mcgarrity said:

If only this camera could speak, what stories it would have. It look like it’s been through the war!

More than likely it has! The German military must have been the major customer, you see Arris in German military photographs all the time.

Quite a historical item. Hope you got a bargain.