Sign in to follow this  
M Joel W

Schneider Cinegon/Cine-Xenon Front Filter Threads

Hi everyone, another one of these weird questions from me.

I'm looking for step up rings for vintage Schneider Cine-Xenon lenses. So far, the 75mm f2 seems to have 40.5mm front threads I think, and I have successfully gotten a step up ring for that. I'm looking to step up to 82mm, and the 18mm Cinegon seems to already be 82mm.

But for the 28mm, 35mm, and 50mm I have tried I cannot figure out what filter threads to use. They look like 49mm and that's consistent with other lenses from that era, but the 49mm step up rings are a bit loose. Is it some other weird Series filter (series 6.5?) or is it 50mm? I have seen 50mm step up rings but they're rare. I want to use screw on NDs. I appreciate any help. Thanks.

If it's a very fine thread, it is just part of the lens construction and not meant to hold a filter in. My C-Mount 50mm, 25mm, and 10mm Schneiders are all like this. The fine threads hold in the beauty ring and the optical cell. I've seen the same on older lenses for still film cameras in various formats. Before manufacturers established a thread pitch standard with standard widths, every company did things their own way and either used slip-on filter/hood adapters or used a proprietary ring to adapt series accessories. I know Schneider made a few of these in the 50s and 60s, and I recently looked at the price of one, from a shop in Hong Kong selling it. I could buy another lens for what he was asking. Good luck in your search.

Phil Forrest

25 minutes ago, Philip Forrest said:

If it's a very fine thread, it is just part of the lens construction and not meant to hold a filter in. My C-Mount 50mm, 25mm, and 10mm Schneiders are all like this. The fine threads hold in the beauty ring and the optical cell. I've seen the same on older lenses for still film cameras in various formats. Before manufacturers established a thread pitch standard with standard widths, every company did things their own way and either used slip-on filter/hood adapters or used a proprietary ring to adapt series accessories. I know Schneider made a few of these in the 50s and 60s, and I recently looked at the price of one, from a shop in Hong Kong selling it. I could buy another lens for what he was asking. Good luck in your search.

Phil Forrest

Thanks for the information. That makes a lot of sense. I saw a Zeiss that was 47mm and a Canon than was 48mm from around then so was hoping it was something standard. Maybe I will try a 50mm ring out of curiosity. It is odd since the 75mm and 18mm are standard sizes and contemporaneous. And visually every other Isco or Schneider lens I have tried from that era is a 49mm thread, as are most Zeiss lenses.

Edited by M Joel W

Be careful with threading anything in there, and try to use a filter or adapter with a brass ring, like B+W or Heliopan. I know that might be a big investment just to take a chance on a filter but if you use aluminum and the thread pitch or depth is wrong, the metals may bind up, nearly permanently. Then you're stuck using destructive methods (hacksaw, files, dremel) to remove the ring and those fine metal chips can scratch the lens as well as get into the focusing helical. Don't give up, just take your time and find the correct adapter to use. The friction-fit series adapters work pretty well as long as you're not hanging anything too heavy off of them.

Phil Forrest

Thanks, Philip. I'm deciding between a set of lenses to keep (these and old standard speeds–or both) and I might just go with the standard speeds. Both are really beautiful sets.

Edited by M Joel W

This thread is in danger of becoming my personal journal now I fear, but the 49mm step up ring is a bit too small and 50mm is too big, won't fit.

I asked Raf at RafCamera what the threads are and he did not know. However, he sells two 49.5mm step up rings, which I did not know existed until now:

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-m49-5x0-5-to-m55x0-75

https://rafcamera.com/adapter-m49-5x0-75-to-m55x0-75

It looks like the 49.5mm x 0.75 is the winner. I believe the 10mm f1.8 Cinegon he mentions shares the same front filter size and threads.