Labs can process 5219 still film ?

You mean '19 repackaged as still film? I don't see why not in principle, but there's always a minimum charge, and you may not want to pay for 120m to get 1.5m processed.

They may not be used to the handling either. No reason for a MP lab to have a cassette opener.

• Site Sponsor

We had an employee who ran his own still lab and would run ECN2 still in the PhotoMec at Cinelab.

Joe moved to Taipei and so that stopped.

It is allot of prep work to staple all those little still clips together and get them twin-checked and prepped.

With the pandemic reduced staff and fairly high volumes of motion picture film coming in it is just impossible for us to offer this service at a reasonable turnaround time or price right now.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Robert Houllahan said:

We had an employee who ran his own still lab and would run ECN2 still in the PhotoMec at Cinelab.

Joe moved to Taipei and so that stopped.

It is allot of prep work to staple all those little still clips together and get them twin-checked and prepped.

With the pandemic reduced staff and fairly high volumes of motion picture film coming in it is just impossible for us to offer this service at a reasonable turnaround time or price right now.

glad to hear film is rolling in in volumes.....anything else you could enlighten us with Robert?

Joe at Cinelab was a godsend for this. Don't let the remjet discourage you! Totally reasonable to DIY on a small scale. If you can do c41 or e6, you can do ecn2. Test a roll you can afford to lose first because there is an art to avoiding the scratches. I like to use my fingers to squeegee about 2-3 feet of the film at a time after the processing is done, and clean my fingers each pass in water then photoflo. Takes 3-4 rounds usually to get rid of the remjet, but you can do it! Make sure you keep a sous vide temp bath (bathtub works great) This kit is what you want. https://www.freestylephoto.biz/9120002-QWD-ECN-2-Home-Processing-Kit-to-make-1-Liter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Silbersalz does this as an entire service, they ship out repackaged vision 3 stocks, and you return them to their lab, so they can process it in ECN-2, and then scan it on their cintel machine, and because the film is going through their horizontally, the 4k sensor gives out a 21 megapixel scan. I really do wish if there are other labs with higher end scanners that does this though, since the cintel doesn't have a great sensor with quite a lot of FPN. So Image quality is not great, but it's still miles ahead of any standard photo film scanner like the noritsu or fuji premeire or kodak pakon. And funnily enough I was just wondering about the same thing browsing through cinelab's webiste just a few days ago. @Robert Houllahan If theoretically after the pandemic,  you guys have enough work force to reopen the stills processing service, would it be charged as vista vision or 35mm in terms of costs per feet? I would looove sending some decent amount of rolls to be proccessed and scanned on the xena 6.5k machine, Can't imagine how good the result will be, especially grading them in cineon log in davinci, that would be my dream in terms of film scanning.

• Premium Member
28 minutes ago, Heikki Repo said:

Uli, looks great!

Do you or Jack have a sample of 100% crop and how bad the FPN looks?

Sorry Heikki, not sure what you mean with 100% crop. Does FPN stand for Fixed Pattern Noise? If so, there isn't any.

21 minutes ago, Stephen Perera said:

Great shot Uli.....interesting you graded in Resolve.....what do you import into Resolve as a 'file'?

Silbersalz deliver three different files for each frame. A preview jpeg, a "full quality JP2 file which has a technical grade applied and a "raw JP2 file which is ungraded. They used to deliver tiff files which were massive and downloading took too long for some customers so they changed the format.

Yes, just right above your message Jack Jin mentioned that Silbersalz scanner has FPN issues. So if there was some, I'd have wanted to see an unscaled - perhaps cropped - part of the frame, how it looks out of the scanner. Sorry for the confusion!

40 minutes ago, Heikki Repo said:

Yes, just right above your message Jack Jin mentioned that Silbersalz scanner has FPN issues. So if there was some, I'd have wanted to see an unscaled - perhaps cropped - part of the frame, how it looks out of the scanner. Sorry for the confusion!

Oh the FPN issue only comes up in super dense or overexposed negatives and highlights, it's not a big issue if you shoot and expose relatively correctly. But this issue is much more prevalent in reversal film, since they are extremely dense, thus the shadows can be very dark, exposing the dynamic range weakness of the cintel scanner. Silbersalz is decent for what they are offering, the cintel machine isn't that bad, as I said, still miles ahead of any scanners in any photolabs, just not as good as other higher end cinema film scanners like the scanity or the lasergraphic and Xena 6.5k machines.

Edited by Jack Jin
added text
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, Jack Jin said:

Oh the FPN issue only comes up in super dense or overexposed negatives and highlights, it's not a big issue if you shoot and expose relatively correctly. But this issue is much more prevalent in reversal film, since they are extremely dense, thus the shadows can be very dark, exposing the dynamic range weakness of the cintel scanner. Silbersalz is decent for what they are offering, the cintel machine isn't that bad, as I said, still miles ahead of any scanners in any photolabs, just not as good as other higher end cinema film scanners like the scanity or the lasergraphic and Xena 6.5k machines.

I don't know much about Cintel scanners but the thousand plus photos I've had processed and scanned at Silbersalz never had any of those issues. When they started off there were teething problems with their film cartridges (light leaks) but those are long gone.

10 minutes ago, Uli Meyer said:

I don't know much about Cintel scanners but the thousand plus photos I've had processed and scanned at Silbersalz never had any of those issues. When they started off there were teething problems with their film cartridges (light leaks) but those are long gone.

Yeah Unless you really really messed up the exposure (4+ stops), it's not noticeable, since kodak vision 3 negatives aren't very dense. But the cintel scanners still doesn't have the best image quality due to the 4k cmos sensor, but it's not bad either.

Edited by Jack Jin

• Premium Member

Cinelab London don't do it for still photography rolls.........as I said Portra 800 is a simple fantastic alternative to Vision3 500T if you want to home process and not worry about ECN-2 process........Portra 800 is ABSOLUTELY my favourite colour negative film albeit the most expensive film out there.....typical....I HAD to love the most expensive hahah

Edited by Stephen Perera