Beaulieu 4008 ZM2 Batteries

Etienne Cohet

Hi,

I found an old Beaulieu Super 8 camera (4008 ZM2).

Logic but unfair, the antic original battery is dead and not produced anymore.

Any tip to make by myself, with the old plugg-part, a system to give gas to this

small but beautyful engine.

I'm sure companies do that for money but ...

Hope you'll help as usual and thank you in advance

Etienne

I believe the only way is to buy a new battery and a charger for your Beaulieu. Try here.... http://www.cameraspro.com/cam13powchar.html

FP

This is definitely not the only place.....

Bjorn Andersson in Sweden sells a range of both re-celled and external batteries. For a very reasonable price!

bjorn.andersson@brevet.nu

++46 8381074

He has a very good reputation and has been fixing and servicing just Beaulieu cameras for 30 years. and he speaks excellent English if your Swedish isn't quite up to scratch.

Matt

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

Hi,

The usual safety note - do not, ever, under any circumstances solder directly to batteries. It's generally OK if they have a spot-welded solder tag, but any battery, especially a button cell such as those pictured in that report, are pressure vessels. This means that they can and will explode violently, usually when your face is very close by observing the soldering job. People have ended up blind over less.

Phil

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I found an old Beaulieu Super 8 camera (4008 ZM2).

Logic but unfair, the antic original battery is dead and not produced anymore.

Any tip to make by myself, with the old plugg-part, a system to give gas to this small but beautyful engine.

I'm sure companies do that for money but ...

Hope you'll help as usual and thank you in advance

Etienne

=====================================

Hi - I have a complete battery set for 4008. Includes 2300mA battery, brand new socket adpater, and charger. I also have a 550mA double size screw-in battery. Email @ m_osterhus@yahoo.com or call 818-989-0422

ROCKET 88

• 5 years later...

Someone recently gave me an old Beaulieu 4008 battery so I'm gearing up to re-cell another bunch of 4008 batteries if anyone is interested. Price is $90 USD per battery + shipping. You will get the newest Varta 600mAh cells that are an additional 33% increase in capacity over the older Varta 450mAh batteries i was using last year. For reference the older 450mAh celled batteries will shoot 12-15 cartridges. $90 is an excellent price.

I've also have another re-celled Beaulieu 2008 battery (450mAh cells) if anyone wants it for $50 USD + shipping.

IMPORTANT! - The old Beaulieu chargers will DAMAGE the older Varta 450mAh and new 600mAh cells. DO NOT USE the old Beaulieu charger with your new batteries. I've located and use a new "smart" charger for use with the Varta batteries.

Pictures of the re-cell process and my computer controlled weld head can be seen at the link below -

http://homepage.mac.com/tom.houston/Custom...Head/index.html

I'd also be interested in re-celling an R16 battery if anyone has one that they'd like re-celled. I haven't done one yet but I'll work out a special price if someone is willing to send me one.

Tom

• 3 weeks later...
Someone recently gave me an old Beaulieu 4008 battery so I'm gearing up to re-cell another bunch of 4008 batteries if anyone is interested. Price is $90 USD per battery + shipping. You will get the newest Varta 600mAh cells that are an additional 33% increase in capacity over the older Varta 450mAh batteries i was using last year. For reference the older 450mAh celled batteries will shoot 12-15 cartridges. $90 is an excellent price.

I've also have another re-celled Beaulieu 2008 battery (450mAh cells) if anyone wants it for $50 USD + shipping.

IMPORTANT! - The old Beaulieu chargers will DAMAGE the older Varta 450mAh and new 600mAh cells. DO NOT USE the old Beaulieu charger with your new batteries. I've located and use a new "smart" charger for use with the Varta batteries.

Pictures of the re-cell process and my computer controlled weld head can be seen at the link below -

http://homepage.mac.com/tom.houston/Custom...Head/index.html

I'd also be interested in re-celling an R16 battery if anyone has one that they'd like re-celled. I haven't done one yet but I'll work out a special price if someone is willing to send me one.

Tom

Use this link instead: http://web.mac.com/tom.houston/Site/Weld_Head.html

these varta 450 barely fit in the height of the holder. how do you manage to get the connecting bands in between?

These 600 version are even thicker and stacked together they are already higher the available height...

I suppose one cannot compress them a bit. This would certainly damage the structures inside.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member
Bjorn Andersson in Sweden sells a range of both re-celled and external batteries. For a very reasonable price!

Bjorn is THE MAN. A pain to send things there from the states with all the customs paperwork but he's one of the last remaining Beaulieu experts in the world that still has parts. It will be done right if you send it to him. Better than the original probably.

• 3 weeks later...
I sent 6 batteries (4008) to Tom Houston when he first announced his re-celling service, I probably was his 1st customer.

The job done was excellent, and I have been using the batteries without any problems.

Rafael, I'm glad you're happy with the re-celled batteries! You were actually my second customer. I was my own first customer and re-celled all of my own batteries first to perfect the re-cell process. When the batteries are re-celled, they're better than when Beaulieu assembled them at the factory. My new site www.FilmMaker8.com offers resources for filmmakers, Super 8 cameras (coming soon), custom machine shop and electronics facilities, and of course the battery re-celling service that many Cinematography members have used. FilmMaker8 is a small business located in Northern VA just outside of Washington DC. Our re-celling process is outlined on the site and also includes a list of questions that should be asked of anyone who offers Beaulieu battery re-celling services. If you have any questions feel free to contact me (link on the site). I have some other products and services planned for 2010 so keep an eye out on FilmMaker8.com for more information.

Thank you to everyone here who has used my re-cell service. It's really a pleasure to know there are Beaulieu Super 8 cameras running out there with batteries that we brought back to life.

R/

Tom Houston

www.FilmMaker8.com

Prices are a bit steep for recelled holders with $12 value new components installed :(

Wittner has NEW ones with 800mAh at Euro 120 including tax.(outside EU ex tax Euro 100).

These have built in electronics to protect against overheating.

Wittner is fully equipped for international communications, payments and deliveries.

http://www.beaulieu.de/pages/s8_azub8.php

Akku 1000 mAh NiMH für Beaulieu 4008 (alle Modelle)

Bei diesen Akkus handelt es sich NICHT um nachgebaute Exemplare oder gar um aufbereitete Alt-Akkus. Es sind ausschließlich neue originale BEAULIEU Akkus aus aktueller Fertigung. Nur selektierte Akkuzellen höchster Qualität, thermisch abgesichert, 14 Karat vergoldete Kontaktflächen. Sicherung gegen Kurzschluß und Überstrom.

Best.-Nr. B472118 - (100.00 EUR netto) 119.00 EUR brutto

Prices are a bit steep for recelled holders with $12 value new components installed :(

Wittner has NEW ones with 800mAh at Euro 120 including tax.(outside EU ex tax Euro 100).

These have built in electronics to protect against overheating.

Wittner is fully equipped for international communications, payments and deliveries.

http://www.beaulieu.de/pages/s8_azub8.php

Akku 1000 mAh NiMH für Beaulieu 4008 (alle Modelle)

Bei diesen Akkus handelt es sich NICHT um nachgebaute Exemplare oder gar um aufbereitete Alt-Akkus. Es sind ausschließlich neue originale BEAULIEU Akkus aus aktueller Fertigung. Nur selektierte Akkuzellen höchster Qualität, thermisch abgesichert, 14 Karat vergoldete Kontaktflächen. Sicherung gegen Kurzschluß und Überstrom.

Best.-Nr. B472118 - (100.00 EUR netto) 119.00 EUR brutto

Personally, I think $166 USD, plus VAT & shipping from the UK for a 800mAh battery is a bit steep :( . Either one of the Wittner batteries offered provides the capacity to shoot 50+ cartridges of film at one time. Who shoots 50 cartridges of Super 8 film at one time? Lets face it, Beaulieu shipped a 250mAh battery with their 4008 series cameras when new. Did Beaulieu ship a significantly undersized battery with their camera? Of course not! The 250mAh batteries were based on old NiCad battery technology and were still were sufficient to operate the camera for up to (7-10 Cartridges @ 18fps - From the Beaulieu manual). The double height Wittner battery packs would be significant IF we were still bound to old lower capacity NiCad battery technology. There's no need for a double height larger battery case/capacity these days with battery capacities available that have almost doubled for a given form factor. Technology marches on and we're now able to re-cell the original Beaulieu battery cases with almost TWICE the battery capacity in the same form factor. AMAZING and frankly, I prefer the lower profile battery pack that Beaulieu originally sold with the camera. IMHO they look better on the camera and our 450mAh re-celled batteries will shoot WAY more film than anyone would ever need to shoot between charges. Low profile means sleek and out of the way while providing extended shooting times! The batteries we use in our re-cells are high discharge cells providing momentary 2.5A discharge rates. They're very powerful and it takes caution during the re-cell process to make sure they don't short and weld themselves together!

DonFito productions purchased 6 re-celled batteries from me he is more than happy. Send him a PM and he'll tell you that his re-cells are more than enough for his film production company. Believe me when I say that you'll never need more than the original low profile Beaulieu battery pack re-celled with 450mAh batteries. Forget all of those external batteries and cables. Why would someone ever need this much capacity? You might if you're traveling to the African Sahara to shoot a movie with over 50 cartridges where you'll be away from a power source for weeks at a time. Feel comfortable to go and shoot in the African Sahara with out batteries, just bring two and you will be fine. Re-celling your original Beaulieu battery case makes sense and my re-cells with 450mAh batteries give you the ability to shoot 10-12 cartridges or more between charges (understand this is a VERY conservative number). Check out my site www.FilmMaker8.com for more details and email me if you have any questions! If you're a business and would like evaluation batteries email me to discuss.

AJ, if you still want a re-celled battery just send me your old battery!