Modified Matth Gag for a dual wag flag setup.

Alexander Sutton Hough

I made this part. I couldn't find anything like it so I modified a Matthews Matth Gag to have a baby pin. Does anyone know if a grip item like this is being sold?

Made it specifically for my new set up I have been working on with two modified 4x8 Ultra Bounce wag flags to work on one c-stand. I can use two modified wag flags closely together and have a compact set up alternative for 4x8 foam boards, cove lighting, and book lights while being more compact, easier to transport and setup in smaller spaces. Got 4 of these 4x8 wag flags made from canvas grip but had to cut the sewn side and put velcro. By doing that I can freely pull the fabric off and flip it around or slide it closer to another wag flag and limit a gap for light leak.

pyvGsV1oOKM98x9BoU2WrVwIhoYpp_b9uOoXz2sBZS0SngtVc9j66a7_Wz5uiiuj9Pcu9o3k68dTHf_OSf7TOzhfZeYZy-j4vK8Joqr668YIv6qiFX-Iz40z51auTCuommW4dictetn_gopPCBaRPiwvNnhroqDC

Edited by Alexander Sutton Hough
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

How is this significantly faster than two 4x4 ultra-bounce floppys and two stands?

The issue with special, custom, one-off grip hardware is that other people in the crew won't understand its use.  They've never seen it, never will again.  Stuff like that is fine as an owner operator.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, JD Hartman said:

How is this significantly faster than two 4x4 ultra-bounce floppys and two stands?

The issue with special, custom, one-off grip hardware is that other people in the crew won't understand its use.  They've never seen it, never will again.  Stuff like that is fine as an owner operator.

I never claimed it was faster. Where did you get that from? It takes maybe a min longer than setting up two c stand and two floppy's. 

You can fit wag flags easier in a car and small vans than 4x4 floppy's and can use one c stand over two. The goal was to create less foot print in smaller spaces, less weight and gear needed to be moved around. It's pretty straight forward, baby pin and a gag. I don't think a crew will get so confused by it.

Also the wag flags I can adust the height by rolling it up 6in sections. I can take off the fabric of a third wag flags frame and throw it on top of first two with a 6x6 silk in front and create like a big soft box.

I can shove 4 of them in a small 4ft by 6in bag. So one trip from a car the wag flag bag and one sand bag in one hand. And the other hand a c stand and the gag with a baby pin in the grip head. You're method would take two c stands, two sand bags, and two floppy's. That could take two or three trips to a grip truck. 

Super versatile. Maybe not faster but opens up alot of options. 

On 9/26/2020 at 11:02 AM, JD Hartman said:

I disagree. Take Steve Cardellini's clamp, for example.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, JD Hartman said:

Maybe from this, " being more compact, easier to transport and setup in smaller spaces. " 

Easier translates as faster.  A 4x4 Ultrabounce floppy is easier (faster to setup) than a 4x8 beadboard

No need to get you knickers in a twist.

Easier does not mean faster.

For instance look at my aputure 300x lights in the photos above. There not as fast or easy to setup or as 650 or 1k tungsten. More pieces to put together and keep track of. But they are easier to use because they don't get hot and burn you. They don't use up as much electricity and can have more options with bi color and dimming with out needing to use gels and scrims and risk burning yourself. When packing up or moving them around they are not hot and you do not have to wait around to let them cool down. 

One aspect can be slower or little more complex to be more convenient or easier by over coming issue in the whole process. This can often save time, save money, prevent property damage or injury, or give more options. It's the over all use of a tool or a setup that needs to be accounted for in the whole process of a day when considered easier. Not strictly how fast it can be put on to a c-stand in the moment.

And by your definition yes my setup is faster when I take in account the amount of trips needed to a grip truck or van as part of the initial setup. 

5 hours ago, Tim Tyler said:

I disagree. Take Steve Cardellini's clamp, for example.

When first encountered, it certainly was the odd duck on the grip cart.  What's this clampy thing that looks like sock puppet?  I don't even know what to call it.....

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...
On 1/27/2021 at 5:56 PM, Brandon Leger said:

I'm trying to find 4x8 wag flags. I thought Modern had them but maybe they stopped carrying that size. Where did you get yours? Were they custom?

They were custom ordered from Canvas Grip. http://www.canvasgrip.com/ they have some of the best prices. But there ultra bounce is little on the blue side vs being super neutral. Advantage grip I got in the past was much more neutral white.