about Infrared cinematography

YongLee

I had mine (Fuji and Sony) converted to 850nm. I tried color conversion IR with an M43 and didn't like it. But I was using it for IR flash photography in the dark. If I was looking for daylight IR, then I would have liked the color IR.

I also used the 850nm for video in the dark with a single IR light. I was going for a rough documentary look. If you want it lit nicely, then you will need a few IR lights if you are doing it in BW in the dark. But IR lights are $$.

As far as 'how to?' Lots of experimenting. But with digital , it could not be easier to see the what ifs.

Good luck!

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

13 hours ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Lower down the budget ladder, there’s the Panasonic EVA-1. It has a switch that removes the internal IR cut glass in the OLPF stack. Then you just have to add an IR pass filter in front of the lens that removes the visible spectrum.

15 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

There is an Alexa monochrome that can do IR, not LF, and two of the Panasonic Varicam 35's can be easily switched to IR. Don't know about the Red monochrome.

15 hours ago, Daniel D. Teoli Jr. said:

I had mine (Fuji and Sony) converted to 850nm. I tried color conversion IR with an M43 and didn't like it. But I was using it for IR flash photography in the dark. If I was looking for daylight IR, then I would have liked the color IR.

I also used the 850nm for video in the dark with a single IR light. I was going for a rough documentary look. If you want it lit nicely, then you will need a few IR lights if you are doing it in BW in the dark. But IR lights are $$.

As far as 'how to?' Lots of experimenting. But with digital , it could not be easier to see the what ifs.

Good luck!

thanks ,very important information for me. thank you very much

Now Yong, here is the quality you get with a cheap Fuji X-E1 16mp camera converted to 850nm IR with 850nm IR flash and no available light to speak of. I was in a dark gay bar in Hollywood shooting for a project. I shot some IR video with it elsewhere, but hardly got going and the virus hit and was shut down. 

https://archive.org/details/TranswomanFriend-InfraredFlash

The Sony does better than the Fuji, but cost a lot more. Fuji camera used was a couple hundred $$. Conversion was about $300. I had about $575 in the IR camera. If you click on my name and see 'About Me' I have another IR photo shot with the Fuji IR at the end of the list. 

Hoyte used the IR Alexa in Ad Astra.

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/09/ad-astra-how-cinematographer-hoyte-van-hoytema-took-an-avant-garde-dive-into-deep-space-1202174670/

Let us know how you make out with with your IR project Yong...I love IR! 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

• 11 months later...