Running Aaton XTR sideways for vertical 1:1.66 capture

I'm about to shoot a project vertically for social media, we're shooting s16mm - on an Aaton XTR Prod
Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm worried the camera is not build for this and it may cause the film to run incorrectly through the mag because of the 90° angle
Seems nothing's mentioned in the manual about it which makes sense, I guess, as the camera was created before vertical screens

Will it cause catastrophic damage to the camera? Highly unlikely. 

However you may find some registration issues or you may cone your feed or take up side depending which side is placed facing the ground.

I think ultimately you would be fine but couldn't hurt to shoot a test before hand. 

It makes me think of when people "sloppy low mode" a film camera on steadicam and just flip the sled as they would on a digital shoot instead of properly mounting the camera for underslung operation. 98% of the time its totally fine, occasionally you will run into either scratching, registration or jams when running a camera in a strange orientation. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Some years back I had an Aaton XTR in for repair because it had been underslung with a heavy zoom and the camera base around the 3/8” mounting thread had become deformed, causing electrical board damage. So watch that. Ideally mount the camera with more than one fixing point and avoid any stress movement. Otherwise see Evan’s points.