Grading on a $30K monitor

Daniel D. Teoli Jr.

https://www.redsharknews.com/is-it-ever-acceptable-to-grade-on-a-computer-monitor?

Good article by Phil. Never knew the monitors cost so much.

I will second a dedicated room or at least one with no widows and bright lights. If the sun hits I have to cover the monitor and my head with a dark cloth. Window has blinds but still glary.

You need a file graded for every use. What looks good as a photo print looks wrong for the MP4 video file for computer viewing and what looks right for the MP4 computer looks wrong for the DVD for the TV viewing. Then you got YT and Vimeo to deal with.

I just try to split the difference with the grading if it is to be used for multiple viewing options. My monitor does good B&W. Laptops tend to skew B&W by toning it. When I found a monitor I liked for true B&W I bought a few of them for reserve. (Discontinued HP $120 monitor....Walmart closed them out for $80.) 

If I had $30K I would save up for a 16mm sound film scanner, not a monitor. But I don't need to be a pro color grader. Most of what I work with is old archival footage. Lots of leeway with grading. Just view your work on multiple viewing options to see how it holds up. And if you got the luxury, you can make different grades for different uses. 

Edited by Daniel D. Teoli Jr.