250 D Film stock and Single Frame Shooting Mode - Light Metering tips?

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

Hello there!

Attaching my light meter and how is set when I shoot 250D 16mm on an Electric Bolex. 

I want to do single frame shooting and 50fps in my upcoming shoot. 

How should these different modes affect my meter?

Many thanks!

A

IMG_7950.jpg

The meter is set to ISO 200?

If you shoot single frame as in stop motion single frame, it doesn't matter what frame rate you are planning to play it back at. (why 50fps). Using a stills meter and based on the shutter speed of your Electric Bolex combined with ASA 250, I would meter like you would for a still photograph.

Hello there. 

Thank you for your reply ?

So, my plan is to shoot the single frame and slow motion and get it developed and transferred to 25fps. 

The reason i'm wondering is whether whilst shooting it might need another setting (for example, I will change the 25f/s to 50f/s)

Not sure about the single frame and whether that will need any changes in the light meter. 

Yes, I have the ISO set to 200. I was told to overexpose the film a little bit.... Do you have another opinion?

Happy to hear about it!

a

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

So, my plan is to shoot the single frame and slow motion and get it developed and transferred to 25fps. 

With single frame, do you mean exposing one frame at a time? Or shooting at a continuous one frame per second? If it is the latter, you should be able to simply set your meter to 1fps. The same with slow motion. Set your meter to whatever frame rate you want to shoot at. Your current F-stop will change accordingly.

If your camera has a stop motion setting and that is what you are aiming for, I'm not sure if the shutter speed remains the same. Best check your manual.

Overexposing one stop is fine. I tend to meter with the correct ISO and open up the aperture a little, not necessarily always a full stop.

Thank you!

My meter goes down to 2f/s, not one. Not sure why that is...

I'm planning on doing one frame at a time. Not continuous 

I'll check with the manual on the shutter speed of the electric bolex

1 hour ago, Uli Meyer said:

Overexposing one stop is fine. I tend to meter with the correct ISO and open up the aperture a little, not necessarily always a full stop.

OK, noted! Why is that? 

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

According to the manual:

"Exposures Real" + "Photometric" stats for Single frame is the same as 18FPS

Would you say it's safe to measure according to this?

A

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 15.33.48.png

This looks like this could be the right setting. Always best to do a test, especially if you are about to undertake a time-consuming stop motion shoot.

31 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

OK, noted! Why is that?

The DOF changes wider open and in lower light situations. Also it is nice to get your footage back looking correctly exposed. When I am sure of the result (as much as one can be), I try to just go a line or two under the mark.

Edited by Uli Meyer

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

According to the manual:

"Exposures Real" + "Photometric" stats for Single frame is the same as 18FPS

Would you say it's safe to measure according to this?

A

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 15.33.48.png

So for single frame you want to meter for 1/50 sec (the "photometric" exposure time, which compensates for the Bolex reflex prism light loss). In cine mode that would mean setting your meter to 25fps to match 1/50 sec.

For 50 fps the adapted exposure time is 1/140 sec, so set your meter to 70 fps.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

Thank you!

Does this mean that I should rate the 25fps shooting mode (1/70) by setting my meter to 32 or 36 f/s (it doesn't have the option of 35)

?

This is kind of a new twist!

Surely for anything other than the stop motion part, you just meter as you would normally do.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Alexandros Pissourios said:

Thank you!

Does this mean that I should rate the 25fps shooting mode (1/70) by setting my meter to 32 or 36 f/s (it doesn't have the option of 35)

?

This is kind of a new twist!

Yes, that's right.

Another method (perhaps less confusing) is to compensate for the prism light loss by rating the film slower (like you did to get a bit of overexposure) instead of adjusting the frame rate. So rating 250D as 200 will compensate for the roughly 1/3 stop lost to the Bolex viewfinder and you can use the actual frame rate you're shooting in the meter. Or set to 18 fps for single frame. Rate it 160 to overexpose another third of a stop if you like. 

Either method works.