Yellow Rose

Just saw a pretty impressive feature film debut, it was filmed in beautiful Austin, TX, and it’s about a young Filipina who faces the threat of being deported, because of her illegal status. I like that it wasn’t filled with unnecessary plot devices that you would normally see in bigger budget films.

I really loved the country music, and throughout the movie, Rose is inspired by her hardship to create music. I also noticed that I actually worked with Dale Watson’s daughter, Raquel, who was in my first short film. Small world. 

The cinematography was really great, it was imperfect in the sense that the focus pulling wasn’t precise, it felt messy and I love that imperfection in movies. And the actress Eva Noblezada is one to watch! I thought her performance was very strong and she’s incredibly talented. I recommend this film to anyone looking to watch a great movie. It’s playing in theaters, caught a late screening today. The city of Austin looks great, more films should be made there!

9 minutes ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Sounds interesting! Austin is a great location for filming.

It’s great to see a fantastic film with real world issues in a time like this. There’s something special about small indie films that find their way into the mainstream and I love how the director captured the heart of Texas and the country music. The director Diane Paragas is actually a former film student from the university at Austin, so that’s why it’s so authentic.There’s hard working immigrants in the USA with big dreams who are being separated from their families and are treated without dignity by ICE, the movie really touches on the heartbreak of that reality. And the power of the human spirit to preserve in times of hurt. 

I have one more thing to add, I just read some articles about the making of this film. It took the director Diane Paragas 15 years to get this feature film going, a lot of people said no one wanted to see a movie with an all Asian cast, especially a movie about country music but despite the overwhelming odds she got her film made, and even though it’s not a box-office smash hit, I thought it was a better film than all those other big budget movies which spend millions of dollars on their budget.

The new talent is refreshing, it reminded of the way Elia Kazan managed to direct unknowns into bigger than life performances. It was like watching Hailee Steinfeld’s debut performance in True Grit, it was very strong. Just watching this made me hopeful again, that great stories can be told and shown in theaters, if theaters could just dial down on superhero movies and actually show some real art, then it would be worthwhile to keep supporting them.