High Speed Wine Pour

Justin Hayward

• Premium Member

Shot this for a friend the other day and I think it turned out nice, so I'm sharing it with you nice folks.  It was shot 4k with the Phantom on the Kira motion control rig @1000fps.  Lit with a single 5k through a 2x3 1000H frame with some small fill cards for reflections.

Edit: There was a 2k fresnel hitting a small part of the background so it didn't fall totally off to black. 

Edited by Justin Hayward
  • Upvote 2

• Premium Member

With the pour rig pre-built, it was about a 7 hour day.  Because it was a favor for a friend and everybody working on it was doing a favor for me, I was really hoping to get it done in the morning, but this kind of stuff is never fast.  Plus it wasn't a full crew and the guy rigging was doing like three jobs.

Getting the liquid to land in the right spot took the most time.  If you just tip the bottle over, the water will go flying all over the place, so the bottle has to actually move backwards while tipping over to get the liquid to pour straight down and hit where you want.  Most of the morning was the camera planted on the glass while we dialed in the pour with water.  Then we switched to wine, but the density of the alcohol changed the pour and we basically had to start over.  We eventually used water with food coloring. It looked more like rose than the actually wine did anyway and it was easier to control the pour.

After we got the pour right we dialed in the camera move.  That's a little easier because you basically start with a guess, but @1000fps it's easy to see if it needs to move a little faster or sooner or slower or whatever.  I think it only took four or five tries before the camera was locked in.

The guy doing the rigging is one of the smartest people I've ever met and he comes up with all sorts of crazy stuff.  I shot a little behind-the-scenes of something he did with another director last year...

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Looks really great Justin! You guys nailed it.

Thanks Satsuki!  I always enjoy demo-type stuff like this cause you get to catch up with your friends while playing with cool equipment, but without any agency or client breathing down your neck (of course they can't do that now anyway :). 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, Justin Hayward said:

... but without any agency or client breathing down your neck (of course they can't do that now anyway :). 

Oh, don’t be too sure about that! I’m finding that crowding around a monitor is a nearly impossible habit to break...

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member
35 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Oh, don’t be too sure about that! I’m finding that crowding around a monitor is a nearly impossible habit to break...

That's so true.  This place has 7 or 8 really nice monitors spread out all over, but everyone still flocks around one.  It's tough cause you want to talk about it and everything.  And when you're in the thick of a job it's easy to forget all the stuff going on in the world.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, Justin Hayward said:

That's so true.  This place has 7 or 8 really nice monitors spread out all over, but everyone still flocks around one.  It's tough cause you want to talk about it and everything.  And when you're in the thick of a job it's easy to forget all the stuff going on in the world.

On a multi-cam job this past week, the 1st AC passed out a set of Eartec wireless comms to the camera crew. I’ve used wired comms before many times and of course radios, but it was my first time using these. It was great and made communication super easy when we were all spread out. I wonder if there’s a way to use these for this purpose.

• Premium Member

It's a good idea.  I'll pass it on.  Thanks.  I have a commercial shooting in a couple weeks and this company I work with has a remote shooting system set up using Cisco Webex combined with a "secure" HD video stream so the client and most of the agency won't be there, but can still see what we're doing in real time. I don't know how efficient it is, but we'll see. 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Justin Hayward said:

I'm guessing things like I just said above will sound archaic in like five years... or maybe it does now for all I know.  I still don't use twitter ?

Nah, that’s what most tech companies are using out here too. 

• Like 1