Angenieux 8-64mm front cell removal

Todd Pinder

The focus on my Angenieux is a bit loose with a few flat spots, so I wanted to clean the old grease and apply new. Problem is with the close focus stop not letting me unscrew the whole front cell from the rest of the body. There are three grub screws that I have loosened and nothing else obvious to undo. Front glass has been removed for cleaning. I've done this service to a few Angenieux zooms with success, but a little stumped with this one. Regards!

• Premium Member

You should be able to access the focus stop if you remove the outer focus barrel, held by grub screws. If you don't mark everything before removal and carefully note which thread start the focus unit screws into you will lose the lens focus calibration. There can be up to a dozen thread starts, but only one will be correct. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/25/2020 at 1:11 PM, Dom Jaeger said:

You should be able to access the focus stop if you remove the outer focus barrel, held by grub screws. If you don't mark everything before removal and carefully note which thread start the focus unit screws into you will lose the lens focus calibration. There can be up to a dozen thread starts, but only one will be correct. 

Hi Dom, Thanks for replying and just now finding the time to tinker again. Anyway loosening all grub screws doesn't free the front cell for the Helicoid. It just hits the close focus stop. I also loosened the next three grub screws down from the front and still couldn't remove.

• Premium Member

It's been a long while, but from memory the grub screws at the front should hold the outer focus barrel on, which needs to slide off to access the focus stop underneath. It may be a bit stuck or something? You may need to remove the grub screws completely not just loosen them. I only remember front ones, in the barrel grip area, like this:

609946220_ang8-64.thumb.jpg.0748adb2428718ec126b225f5a3954ea.jpg