Can you name this kind of rotational lighting?

Jim Brando

Hello,

I am a beginner coming from Concept Art looking to do some side work with video as a hobby. I'm planning to make a dance video.
I've searched for a few hours with revolving, strobe, rotational, flicker lights, dj lights, and haven't found something that matched. I'm quite new to lighting hardware and brands as well.

https://youtu.be/6MXkLQmITKo?t=25
Video can be found here, the lights in the parking building is what I'm talking about.

1st pic is a very strong hard revolving light blue light, having enough strength to cast shadows on the dancers and set from the back.
2nd pic is a smaller soft revolving version in the front, also there seems to be 2 white small front white revolving lights and some round soft lights revolving or randomly moving in front of the shot as well.

What are these lights called, is there official terminology? What are some hardware pieces I can buy to mimic this light via indie? Do I just have to learn to DIY and build a rotating machine for some lights or is there certain light stands that are able to do this? I searched for a while for these things but got lost, any help will be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
PFTncYJ.png

Eag2uzT.png

Edited by Jim Brando

• Premium Member

Or, possibly some sort of rig as was used for the rotating hazard lights in Aliens. Click here for example.

I like the way they put a big box on the side of it for the ballast of what's pretty clearly - eh - a 2.5K HMI or something?

Or, just followspots or any kind of light on a stand. And some buddies. I don't think this actually is followspots, it's not sharp enough. I think it's just someone waving a fresnel around.

P

• Upvote 1

I vote for theatrical "moving heads" as well. There are three kind of these: beam, wash, spot. "Beam" type has a very narrow beam. "Wash" is similar to a PAR64 lamp, rather wide angle, with soft edges. "Spot" is similar to a profile projector, with sharp edges, homogeneous light within the beam, and the ability to be shaped with a gobo. Since the beams in the video appear rather sharp, I'd say these are "spot moving heads".

These used to be of HMI technology or similar, with a rather high colour temperature (7000K or so). LED is becoming more and more common, although not as powerful, but still in the 6-7000K range.

Edited by Nicolas POISSON
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

I think I'd need to see video to understand what you are talking about. Off the top of my head, I'd say this was some sort of theatrical intelligent/automated light like these:

https://www.martin.com/en/product_families/latest-new-automated-lights

Hi David,

The link to the video is here, the lights in the parking building is what I'm talking about.
https://youtu.be/6MXkLQmITKo?t=25

2 hours ago, Nicolas POISSON said:

I vote for theatrical "moving heads" as well. There are three kind of these: beam, wash, spot. "Beam" type has a very narrow beam. "Wash" is similar to a PAR64 lamp, rather wide angle, with soft edges. "Spot" is similar to a profile projector, with sharp edges, homogeneous light within the beam, and the ability to be shaped with a gobo. Since the beams in the video appear rather sharp, I'd say these are "spot moving heads".

These used to be of HMI technology or similar, with a rather high colour temperature (7000K or so). LED is becoming more and more common, although not as powerful, but still in the 6-7000K range.

Thanks Nicolas, I understand now!
Is there any brands you  recommend, what are the industry standard brands?

3 hours ago, Phil Rhodes said:

Or, possibly some sort of rig as was used for the rotating hazard lights in Aliens. Click here for example.

I like the way they put a big box on the side of it for the ballast of what's pretty clearly - eh - a 2.5K HMI or something?

Or, just followspots or any kind of light on a stand. And some buddies. I don't think this actually is followspots, it's not sharp enough. I think it's just someone waving a fresnel around.

P

I was considering buying some beacon/signal lights used by police officers and construction but I was scared the strength and size falloff might be too small for a large room or set. Though I am a beginner and don't have much experience on set yet.

The beacon lights in the Aliens film also look as big as someone's torso.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Jim Brando said:

I was considering buying some beacon/signal lights used by police officers and construction but I was scared the strength and size falloff might be too small for a large room or set. Though I am a beginner and don't have much experience on set yet.

The beacon lights in the Aliens film also look as big as someone's torso.

I think all you need is any reasonably directional light - even a fresnel really zoomed-in - on a stand, and a friend. Repeat three or four times.

If you really want to automate it, rent some vari-lites.

P

• Like 1