rental options UK

Keith Mottram

• Premium Member
tThe only real advantage to the viper over other HD Cameras (more so the Sony F950) is the fact that it can outout a pure CCD signal, so, instead of having all the color correction in camera, you do it in post. It also outputs 4:4:4 footage, as does the F950.

Landon,

The viper does NOT output a pure CCD signal. It can output LOG the the F950 outputs LINEAR.

Digiprimes can be used wide open giving the equivalent DOF of a 35mm film camera at F3.3 (F2.8-F4 split)

Stephen

• Premium Member
the viper has 3, 2/3" CCD's... It does not have 35mm sized sensors. The only real advantage to the viper over other HD Cameras (more so the Sony F950) is the fact that it can outout a pure CCD signal, so, instead of having all the color correction in camera, you do it in post. It also outputs 4:4:4 footage, as does the F950.

Oh is it the D20 then that has a bigger one?

Dimitrios Koukas

Hi,

Sorry it not! I quote "The images below show examples of the same scene shot with a Linear HD camera (Sony F950) and again with a Log capture HD camera (Thomson's Viper)"

Stephen

Opps I was thinking of a different article steve wrote in a magazine.(comparing viper to film)

Yes it is a argument that log processing of the 12bitAD gives us one more stop of dynamic range compared to a f950 TV gamma(?) setup going RGB with lin recording.

What is doesn't do is set up the f950 to output a flat image that is recorded (lin)

Remember that the AD does not change its output, but selecting gamma in camera the DP can choose the areas he wants to go to tape. Log does it in the shadows without a choice.

The moitoring issues with filmstream (have been) such that most filmakers go RGB not filmstream.

There is less noise from Viper in filmstream than RGB but boy is there heaps of noise in RGB from the Viper. Was looking a 444 recording yesterday switching, Viper from RGB to filmstream and then comparing to f950.

Why trade exposure detail for shadow detail for every shot? Shooting with in camera gammas the DP has the choice....

None of the above relates to changes in the ccds response which remain the same for basically all cameras. But I have an idea that fine tuning the AD mapping is more powerfull than log/lin processing.. any experts care to comment???

Mike Brennan

Mike Brennan

• Premium Member
There is less noise from Viper in filmstream than RGB but boy is there heaps of noise in RGB from the Viper. Was looking a 444 recording yesterday switching, Viper from RGB to filmstream and then comparing to f950.

Why trade exposure detail for shadow detail for every shot? Shooting with in camera gammas the DP has the choice....

None of the above relates to changes in the ccds response which remain the same for basically all cameras. But I have an idea that fine tuning the AD mapping is more powerfull than log/lin processing.. any experts care to comment???

Mike Brennan

Mike,

I remember from CML a couple of years ago you tried a Gamma Curve from Steve for your F900. You reported some highlight issues then the thread died! Was that resolved?

Stephen

Hmm. Am quite sure that I got an e-mail a while ago about there having been a screening of tests between these cameras (filmed out to 35) at I believe - The cinexpo...

I have seen these cameras running beside eachother (exept the genesis....) and the D20 looked the nicest to me. The Viper looks like a pile of shite if u ask me....

• Premium Member
Yes, the comaprison is viper filmstream viper RGB.

On that same website (www.digitalpraxis.net) is a so called 'comparison' between the Viper and 35mm film. Unfortunately it is entirely usless since it is a frame grab from a still life of fruit on a table in a studio environment...

And if you wan to read something really funny, go to the motionfx.co.uk whre they claim that the Viper has more resolution than 35mm film.