First camera tests Eclair ACL II - Image upside down

Patricia Dauder

Hello,

I just received my first camera tests from my new Eclair ACL II converted to S16mm by Les Bosher, and the image is upside down, the floor is up and the ceiling is down. The camera was serviced just recently

I'm still getting acquainted with the camera since previously I owned a R16 Beaulieu

Could someone tell me what could be  the cause for this?

Thank you

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, Patricia Dauder said:

Could someone tell me what could be  the cause for this?

sounds like the film was just telecined backwards and it was upside down for that reason. Probably they received the developed roll from the lab and just transferred it right away without checking how it was winded. 

Easy to fix in the editing software. If doing photochemical finish, just ask them to make a new print which is properly aligned

• Premium Member

Are you looking at your film scan on a computer monitor? If so, it seems that whomever did the scan skipped a step. 

It’s normal for the image to be upside down, the lens always flips the image so the bottom of the film gate is the top of the image. This will become obvious when you are dealing with hairs in the gate. But this is usually corrected in film scan (or in the film projector with the projector lens). 

32 minutes ago, aapo lettinen said:

sounds like the film was just telecined backwards and it was upside down for that reason. Probably they received the developed roll from the lab and just transferred it right away without checking how it was winded. 

Easy to fix in the editing software. If doing photochemical finish, just ask them to make a new print which is properly aligned

thank you Aapo. That sounds logical. I will contact the lab tomorrow. They do the processing and telecine at the same place

37 minutes ago, Satsuki Murashige said:

Are you looking at your film scan on a computer monitor? If so, it seems that whomever did the scan skipped a step. 

It’s normal for the image to be upside down, the lens always flips the image so the bottom of the film gate is the top of the image. This will become obvious when you are dealing with hairs in the gate. But this is usually corrected in film scan (or in the film projector with the projector lens). 

Yes, I'm looking at it on a computer monitor. The lab sent me a Quicktime Mov file by email

Thank you for your reply