Problems with juddering while pan motion

Hy,

I`m new to filming / editing.

I have Canon EOS80D camera with Canon EF-S 18-55is lens and Ronin SC gimbal.
I edit my footage in Premiere Pro 2019

My goal is to shoot car cinematics, I had been practicing for a while and I have a problem with juddering video after I slow it down.

I know that in order to avoid juddering when panning in 24FPS I need to move camera with right speed, however 60FPS is much more forgivable.

I`ve learned from youtube tutorial that it`s better to use 60FPS when car is not moving, but it`s better to use 24FPS (1/50 shutter speed) when driving to have this cinematic feel.

So I filmed stationary car, doing some panning, close ups, etc... in 60FPS 1/120 shutter speed and it looks good as it is.

Then I edited everything in premiere and exported the video in 24FPS and 60FPS 1080p.

The 24FPS video is unusable, it judders the whole time. No problem I can film 60FPS and 24FPS for moving scene and export everything in 60FPS.

But the video that I exported at 60FPS still has some juddering to it in the panning scenes that I slowed down to 40% or a bit higher. I didn`t go below 40%.

It`s not missing frames  (lagging) like it would if I would slow it down too much, it just judders.

I know the obvious solution would be to move camera slower so I would not need to slow the video down as much , but I have a problem with shaky hands, even a gimbal, inbuilt lens stabilization and warp stabilizer in premiere can`t fix. So I rather shoot a bit faster and slow the footage down, that helps alot.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you

• Premium Member

It’s hard to tell without seeing your video, but ‘judder’ is an unavoidable part of shooting in 24fps if you’re filming fast action. As you mentioned you can slow down the camera movement, slow down the car movement, or move further away to minimize movement. But if you can’t do those things, then you’re going to get choppy motion rendering. 

What I would avoid is slowing down the footage in post - the issue is with the relatively low number of frames you’ve captured in camera, so slowing that down will only make it more obvious. I would suggest trying to shoot everything at 60fps (or higher if you can do it), and using a 90 degree shutter for less motion blur. In shutter speed terms, 180 degree shutter at 60fps would be 1/120, so 90 degrees would be 1/250. 

If you want the footage to play back in slow motion, then change your project timebase in Premiere to 24fps - then the 60fps footage will play back at 2.5x slow motion but with smoother motion due to the higher sampling rate at capture. You’ll also have much less motion blur which may help with the juddery feel - you’ll have to experiment to see whether you prefer less or more motion blur. 

• 10 months later...

When filming a static subject with panning shot, it is inevitable to have "judder" effect, even all the big feature films in theater have the same 'issue' (unless you meant to shoot a slow motion), so what I would do is panning my camera with the same speed as my subject move, or if a subject is static, I will pan the camera along with the orbit movement to prevent the 'judder' effect.

Hope that helps if I understand your question correctly.