Arri & Aaton user experience

Ross Wilson

Hi guys,

I've got hold of an Arri SR3 and the thing is much heavier than I expected. I used to have An Aaton LTR54 a while ago and distinctly remember it being significantly lighter. I've looked up the spec online however and they don't seem that much different.

Has anyone here experience of the SR3 and Aatons, and can you attest to whether there is a noticeable difference in weight?

For instance I've seen people online holding the Aatons one handed by the hand grip with the camera tipped forward, you could never do this with the Arri.

Any help would be really helpful as the project I'm suiting the camera to needs to be lighter and preferably sync sound, and I can't get hold of an Aaton to try without buying one. 

Thanks

• Premium Member

I use to have an SR and an SR3. I also have an XTR Prod. The Arri's are very heavy, at least 4lb difference on the SR3 compared to XTR Prod. With lithium batteries and an HD tap, the XTR is very light. I've had Arri Classic builds that are WAY heavier. 

• Premium Member

i measured the weight of my Aaton XTR Prod and took the weight of the SR3 from Arri's official brochure. I don't know where Tyler gets his 4lb difference.

Others report a weight of 6kg with a loaded mag and an onboard battery for the Aaton (probably no video tap and lighter battery) - so that would be a 1kg/2 lb difference.

ARRI SR 3 brochure

sr3.JPG.444f0e903dc6c294de6fbf4b2c4357f4.JPG

Edited by David Sekanina