Does anyone know if the 9mm Cooke Kinetal cover S16.

Raymond Zananiri

• 4 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Hi Raymond,

I've always loved the 9mm Cooke Kinetal. Nice and sharp, beautiful construction. Unfortunately it will not cover Super-16, and as the whole mount turns when focused, it requires a PL adapter like the ones Les Bosher used to make (not sure he is still making them), which are more complex and expensive compared to the readily available PL mount adapters.

Best, -Tim

Thanks Tim:

I already figured that the 12mm Kinetal is the widest lens in the lineup that covers super16. 

Despite what everyone is saying, it is not easy at all to find super16 lenses, especially in the wide end. The only options are really the super speeds and the ultras sets and both are very expensive now. All the zooms for super 16 also have limitations for minimum focusing distance. That is my opinion a big aesthetic limitation. Currently, I am using my super 35 Angenieux Optimo DP. It goes from 18 to 42mm but it is very big and only opens up to 2.8 and I need to go wider than 18mm for sure. Still looking. 

• Premium Member

There are a few other options around for wide S16 coverage - Optar Illuminas, Cooke SK4s, various super wide angles by Optex or Century, Kinoptik 5.7mm, 6.6-66 or 7-63 or 8-64 Canon zooms, Angenieux 7-81, Cooke 10-30. More zoom options if you only need to go as wide as say 11mm. Some of these are rarer than others. Some of those zooms focus down to 2 ft.

20 hours ago, Dom Jaeger said:

Some of these are rarer than others. Some of those zooms focus down to 2 ft.

It looks like the Angenieux 7-81 goes down to 2ft. But it's so expensive. Better for me to stick with the 16-42 I have and find a 10, 11 or 12 mm prime. Will look at those you listed. Thanks for the help.