Thoughts on Dedicated bag to keep a prebuilt camera (Tenba, Petrol/Satchler)

Hey Everyone

In my line of work I'm really interested in spending as much time with client and lighting as possible and as little on camera as possible.

I switched most mysetup to hardcases this year for obvious reasons.

My camera system can be built in a basic setup in under a minuite and a half and for larger setups it would take normally 3-6 mins to build but I can leave it moslty prebuild in a iM2620 minus lens and handle, so I already have time saving killer setup but I am stilll super intersted in Tenba's bags as one of them could keep my whole system handle included, completely built (minus lens) but at the sacrice of once again the camera not being in a real hardcase and not being stackable.

I'd like to get one as maybe a camera coffin and because they strap to hardcase handles it's sort of free realestate for one man bands but What are your thoughts on keeping cameras in Tenba, Petrol, Satchtler, Portabrace style bags for transport? Are they worth the loss of protection?

I understand insurance + hardcases is a good combonation, Insurance + Rigid Softbags not good.

Edited by Sam Bignell

We call that coffin. I would just get a plastic tote and line it with a folded furniture pad plus one more as base and have another one of two more furni pads to wrap the baby like a burrito so the camera gets packed in there without moving about and then close the lid. That's what we do to transport built cameras from one location to the next without having to breakdown the camera every time. Make sure de-lens the camera and tuck monitors etc in a bit.

Edited by Giray Izcan

• Premium Member

Depends on the camera system, but yes I frequently do the same thing. On projects with very small or no camera crew and lots of vehicle travel, it’s the only way to make it thru the day. I think the key is to find a case that won’t tip over and has a solid top that you can stack light items on top.

I see camera assistants often using large plastic cargo trunks with lots of padding inside for vehicle travel. Personally, I just use a Cinesaddle and seatbelt the camera into the front passenger seat. Or have someone hold the camera if they’re sitting in the passenger seat.

If your camera is small enough, I really like the Orca bags. They are well padded and tall enough to fit most cameras with top handle attached. I can fit my Sony F5 almost fully built inside my OR-12 and can still put it in carry-on luggage. 

• Premium Member

For vehicle travel, I typically do the same and keep a prebuilt camera and separate lens case.

I use the Portabrace CC-22-PW Quick Draw. I keep an FS-7 with 8"rods + Matte Box (4x4 size) and goldmount plate + battery, all as one inside. The spare batts and charger goes in the outer pockets, with room inside for random other stuff like cleaning kit or separated follow focus. I've also ran a Fujinon 20-120 and 18" rods and it still fit.

It is a softcase with rigid thick plastic walls, so it ends up being very sturdy yet soft.

Edited by Stephen Sanchez
comma placement

• 5 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 12/9/2020 at 9:27 AM, Satsuki Murashige said:

If your camera is small enough, I really like the Orca bags. They are well padded and tall enough to fit most cameras with top handle attached. I can fit my Sony F5 almost fully built inside my OR-12 and can still put it in carry-on luggage. 

Just an update, in case anyone finds this later. My Orca bag is actually an OR-8, not an OR-12. An OR-12 would probably be too big for carry-on. 

• 11 months later...
  • Premium Member

If I wanted some nice anti-static foam instead of a furniture pad for a camera coffin, does anyone have any reqs where to get source that?  I'm thinking similar to the stuff you find in pelican cases but bigger pieces I could cut down

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...